Need explanation on part of induction equation

In summary: No, this is not what I am saying. When I say "in the same direction", I am referring to the movement of the magnetic field as being constant in one direction (i.e.) spinning clockwise and that the direction of the movement of the magnetic field does not change, i.e. flip-flopping clockwise/counter-clockwise?No, this is not what I am saying.
GarageTinker
As part of a personal garage tinkering project, I am utilizing the equation (Faraday's?) to figure the voltage output of a DC induction coil (magnetic induction generator) with an air core and I have some questions about the equation: ∑ = -N{(∆B*A) / ∆t}.

Where "A" is the area of the coil, does the equation refer to the entire area of the coil or the entire area minus the area of the air core (which would leave just the area occupied by the coil wire)?

Also, am I correct in understanding that "∆t" refers to the length time for one full cycle from North to South and back to North?

I have been trying to teach myself the physics involved in this spare time project and I want to make sure I understand the math correctly. I would appreciate any assist or explanation that anyone could give. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The "A" refers to the entire area of the coil. As for [itex]\Delta t[/itex], this refers to the time it takes for the magnetic flux to change by [itex]\Delta B[/itex]. So if the field changes by 8 Tesla every 2 seconds then [itex]\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t}=4T/s[/itex].

Thank you for your help. Please clarify; if the difference between N and S is .5 Tesla (N=3T & S= 2.5T) and 1 complete rotation of the mechanism will result in a North to South change of -.5 Tesla followed by a South to North change of .5 Tesla, then do I understand correctly that ∆t would be the time required for 1/2 rotation?

Yes, as long as the 3 and the 2.5 are in the same direction, otherwise [itex]\Delta B[/itex] is [itex]3-(-2.5)=5.5T[/itex]

LeonhardEuler said:
Yes, as long as the 3 and the 2.5 are in the same direction, otherwise [itex]\Delta B[/itex] is [itex]3-(-2.5)=5.5T[/itex]

When you say "in the same direction", I am understanding that you are referring to the movement of the magnetic field as being constant in one direction (i.e.) spinning clockwise and that the direction of the movement of the magnetic field does not change, i.e. flip-flopping clockwise/counter-clockwise?

Related to Need explanation on part of induction equation

1. What is the induction equation and what does it describe?

The induction equation is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the evolution of magnetic fields over time. It is a vector equation that relates the change in magnetic field (B) to the motion of charged particles (v) and the electric field (E).

2. What is the significance of the induction equation in physics?

The induction equation is significant because it helps to explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, known as electromagnetic induction. This phenomenon is essential in understanding how electricity is generated and how motors and generators work.

3. How is the induction equation derived?

The induction equation is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. By combining two of these equations, the Faraday's law of induction and the Ampere's law, the induction equation can be obtained.

4. What are the key terms and variables in the induction equation?

The induction equation includes the magnetic field (B), the velocity of charged particles (v), the electric field (E), the magnetic permeability of the medium (μ), and the electric conductivity of the medium (σ). These variables describe the behavior of the magnetic field over time.

5. How is the induction equation applied in practical applications?

The induction equation has various applications in physics and engineering, including the design of motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in understanding the behavior of plasma in fusion reactors and in studying the Earth's magnetic field and its interaction with the solar wind.