Need Explanation of this Master Slave D Flip Flop

In summary, the highlighted wires in the image are necessary for presetting and clearing the entire circuit. This is because the pairs of U5+U6 and U7+U8 both form memory elements, and if only one pair is preset or cleared, the circuit will revert back to whatever is stored in the other pair when the preset or clear action is released. The highlighted wires ensure that both memory elements are affected by preset and clear actions.
u_know_who
Please look @ the pictures below. I have drawn a master slave D flipflop with preset and clear option as mentioned in the book.

http://i28.lulzimg.com/7e22bfc016.png

Can anyone tell me what is the necessity of the wires that are highlighted in the image? isn't the wire @ last stages of NAND gates enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The pairs of U5+U6 and U7+U8 both form memory elements. So if you really want to preset or clear the entire circuit you most do that action on both memory elements. If you only did it to U7+U8 then you could force the desired output, but as soon as you release the preset or clear the circuit would just revert back to whatever was stored in U5+U6.

Floid said:
The pairs of U5+U6 and U7+U8 both form memory elements. So if you really want to preset or clear the entire circuit you most do that action on both memory elements. If you only did it to U7+U8 then you could force the desired output, but as soon as you release the preset or clear the circuit would just revert back to whatever was stored in U5+U6.

Hmm, i think that's the answer of my question. Thank you. :)

Well after studied what i have found that it is a must. You can't set ouput 0 by pressing clear = 0 when the slave is active (clock = 0) unless u give those connection that i mentioned.

Related to Need Explanation of this Master Slave D Flip Flop

1. What is a Master-Slave D Flip Flop?

A Master-Slave D Flip Flop is a type of sequential logic circuit that stores and remembers a single bit of digital information, also known as a binary digit or "bit". It consists of two D flip flops connected together in a series, with the output of one flip flop serving as the input to the other. This design allows for a more reliable and stable output compared to a single D flip flop.

2. How does a Master-Slave D Flip Flop work?

The Master-Slave D Flip Flop works by using a clock signal to control the inputs of the two flip flops. When the clock signal is high, the first flip flop's output is fed into the second flip flop's input, causing it to store the value. When the clock signal goes low, the second flip flop's output is fed back into the first flip flop's input, thus completing the cycle. This ensures that the output remains stable until the next clock cycle.

3. What are the advantages of using a Master-Slave D Flip Flop?

One of the main advantages of a Master-Slave D Flip Flop is its improved stability and reliability compared to a single D flip flop. It is also less susceptible to glitches and noise, making it suitable for use in high-frequency circuits. Additionally, it allows for more complex functions to be performed, such as edge-triggered storage and clock division.

4. What are the applications of a Master-Slave D Flip Flop?

The Master-Slave D Flip Flop is commonly used in digital systems for storing and transferring data, as well as for synchronizing signals. It is also used in microprocessors, counters, and other digital devices. Its stable output and ability to perform complex functions make it a crucial component in various electronic applications.

5. How does a Master-Slave D Flip Flop differ from other types of flip flops?

The Master-Slave D Flip Flop differs from other types of flip flops in its design and operation. Unlike a basic D flip flop, it uses two flip flops connected in series, which allows for improved stability and functionality. It is also different from other types of flip flops, such as JK and T flip flops, which have different inputs and outputs and serve different purposes in digital circuits.