Need advice on getting genealogical DNA test in the USA

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to find reliable genealogical DNA tests to determine heritage, particularly for Ashkenazic heritage. The speaker also shares personal experiences with DNA testing and asks for recommendations. The responder suggests looking into online companies and mentions PBS TV as a potential source for information on where to get DNA samples tested.
Ryuk1990
I was wondering what are some good institutions in the USA (preferably in Connecticut) that give reliable genealogical DNA tests.

I am interested in seeing what my heritage is composed of. I'd also like to see if I have Ashkenazic heritage.

Biology news on Phys.org
I have? That I been dealing with for some years now me and my dad well all mosted dad and mother tuck in dna test and the DNA testing came back 99,7% back and he is not my father? How is that wen it what 99,9% rite? This is something that's been eating me up inside I need answers and questions

I am not aware of specific places in Connecticut where this is done.
However there are online companies that will do this for you. We don't endorse
specific ones. However you can find a listing of such companies that do
DNA testing here.

Also if you watch some of the http://www.pbs.org/wnet/finding-your-roots/episodes/ episodes
on PBS TV or on their website. They mention places where they have
their DNA samples tested.

Last edited:

Related to Need advice on getting genealogical DNA test in the USA

1. Can I get a genealogical DNA test in the USA?

Yes, there are several companies in the USA that offer genealogical DNA tests. Some popular options include AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and MyHeritage DNA.

2. How do genealogical DNA tests work?

Genealogical DNA tests use a small sample of your saliva or cheek swab to analyze your DNA. The test looks at specific markers in your DNA and compares them to a database of other DNA samples to determine your genetic ancestry.

3. What information can I learn from a genealogical DNA test?

Genealogical DNA tests can provide information about your ethnic and geographic origins, as well as potential genetic relatives and connections to specific ancestral groups. Some tests also offer health and wellness insights.

4. Will a genealogical DNA test provide me with a complete family tree?

No, a genealogical DNA test will not provide a complete family tree. It can help you identify potential relatives and trace your genetic ancestry, but it is not a replacement for traditional genealogy research.

5. Are genealogical DNA tests accurate?

Genealogical DNA tests are generally accurate, but their results should be taken with a grain of salt. The accuracy of the test depends on the size and diversity of the company's database and the quality of your DNA sample. It is also important to consider the limitations of genetic testing and the potential for errors or misinterpretations.