Neat idea: Barcode on homework

In summary, this article seems to suggest that using QR codes in instruction is a good way to help kids with smartphones learn more effectively.
Found this on the interweb and thought it was interesting

84379772.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Found this on the interweb and thought it was interesting
Hm ... seems to mean that this gives an edge to the kids with smartphones (which I DO understand is an awful lot of them).

phinds said:
Hm ... seems to mean that this gives an edge to the kids with smartphones (which I DO understand is an awful lot of them).
Perhaps the teacher should print the URL on there too

Likes symbolipoint
Greg Bernhardt said:
Perhaps the teacher should print the URL on there too
Yeah, that would keep it more fair. Getting to be very few folks who aren't at least connected somehow, although if I recall the stats correctly, the US is not very near the top of the list for % of homes connected.

phinds said:
Yeah, that would keep it more fair. Getting to be very few folks who aren't at least connected somehow, although if I recall the stats correctly, the US is not very near the top of the list for % of homes connected.

I wonder if they could start making the homework deal more of a cooperative * thing, surely everyone has a friend that is connected.
Then we could learn the kids to actually work together. Obviously this requires some trust in the kids. (And parents to make sure they stay honest)

The learning to work together is obvious.
But it might also help the "smarter" kids to understand the kids somewhat behind on the material and vice versa.
I know I sometimes had, and still have, problems understanding why people find stuff difficult.

* Here I mean when appropriate, in fact I believe that for the example in the OP this isn't a good thing.

n.b
After thinking it through, I do not believe there exist situations where cooperation is practical in primary school. Makes you wonder

That picture in post #1 shows a bad way to handle instruction; unless the teacher knows that EVERY student in class has easy access to some device that can handle a QR code and reach the webpage.

Another thought: If the school itself has a computer/internet center and this class'es students know enough how to use it for the purpose, and are allowed to, then the QR code reference may be good.

^it is good instruction if it is somewhat helpful to some students some of the time

no instruction is helpful to EVERY student and it does not need to be

Greg, what are the situational details of that homework assignment and the code?

lurflurf said:
It is pretty usual homework, they can get extra help from the video.

this is the link if some people can't read barcodes

http://www.showme.com/sh/?h=V2fDPf6
and the teachers other videos
http://www.showme.com/James-Dockins
Maybe the use of the barcode is not so bad. Good only if all the students have access to the video; otherwise unfair to those who do not. That's why asked about the situation. One should not make judgements too firmly without knowing the details of the situation better. Even better if the teacher would give a student direct personal instruction to help, regardless of the video.

Direct personal instruction has many limitations. Videos cannot replace direct personal instruction, but they can act as a force multiplier. Say it took that teacher twenty minutes to make that video. He could have helped one or two students with that time and that would be great for them. The video can be watched by ten or more students, some may watch it more than once, some may watch it at times the teacher is not available to them, his students in the future can watch it, people who are not his students can watch it, and so on. None of those things happen when he helps students individually. That should and probably does happen, it is not an either or thing. In the video he say that the learned it in class and the video is a review.

The use of videos or QR codes to videos can be analyzed and understood so many ways. Too new. Some of us did not learn through videos, since they were either rare or did not exist. I still find much, MUCH value in interaction between student and teacher, LIVE NOW-TIME interaction.

I still don't know how they in the interweb knew that about Greg's son :).

Related to Neat idea: Barcode on homework

1. What is a barcode and how does it work?

A barcode is a series of vertical lines of varying thickness that represent a sequence of numbers or letters. It works by using a scanner or camera to read the barcode and translate it into the corresponding numbers or letters.

2. Why would a barcode be useful on homework?

A barcode on homework can help with organization and grading. It allows for quick and accurate identification of each student's work and can be easily scanned into a computer for record-keeping purposes.

3. Can a barcode on homework be easily duplicated or forged?

No, barcodes are difficult to duplicate or forge because they require specialized equipment and software. Additionally, each barcode is unique and can be traced back to the original source.

4. Is there a special type of barcode that is used for homework?

No, any type of barcode can be used for homework as long as it is scannable and can be easily read by a scanner or camera. However, some schools may have a specific format or type of barcode that they prefer to use.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using barcodes on homework?

One potential drawback is the cost of implementing a barcode system, which may require purchasing equipment and software. Additionally, if the barcode is damaged or unreadable, it may lead to delays in grading or recording of the homework.