Natural log of a sum? (not sum of natural logs)

In summary, to find the derivative of y = x^2 + x^(2x), use the linearity of the derivative operator and compute each derivative separately before adding the results.
yiyopr

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y = x^2 + x^(2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

By looking at the equation I think I need to use implicit differentiation + natural logs. But I can't do anything with:

lny = ln(x^2 + x^(2x))

So I assume I'm wrong.. Any help??

Physics news on Phys.org
yiyopr said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y = x^2 + x^(2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

By looking at the equation I think I need to use implicit differentiation + natural logs. But I can't do anything with:

lny = ln(x^2 + x^(2x))

So I assume I'm wrong.. Any help??

Use the linearity of the derivative operator: [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2+x^{2x} \right) = \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2 \right) + \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^{2x} \right)[/itex]. Compute each derivative separately and then add the results.

Related to Natural log of a sum? (not sum of natural logs)

1. What is the natural log of a sum?

The natural log of a sum is the logarithm of the sum of two or more numbers. It is denoted as ln(a+b), where a and b are the numbers being added together.

2. How is the natural log of a sum calculated?

The natural log of a sum can be calculated by taking the natural log of each individual number, adding them together, and then taking the natural log of the final sum. For example, ln(2+3) = ln(2) + ln(3) = ln(5) = 1.609.

3. What is the relationship between the natural log of a sum and the sum of natural logs?

The natural log of a sum and the sum of natural logs are not the same. While the former is the logarithm of the sum of numbers, the latter is the sum of logarithms of numbers. However, there is a relationship between the two as ln(a+b) = ln(a) + ln(b), which can be used to calculate the natural log of a sum.

4. Why is the natural log of a sum important in mathematics?

The natural log of a sum is important in mathematics as it helps in simplifying complex calculations involving exponentials and logarithms. It is also used in various fields such as finance, physics, and statistics to model different phenomena.

5. Can the natural log of a sum be negative?

Yes, the natural log of a sum can be negative if the sum of numbers is less than 1. For example, ln(0.5 + 0.25) = ln(0.75) = -0.2877. This indicates that the sum of numbers is less than 1, and the natural log of the sum is a negative number.