Natural Log and Inverse derivatives

In summary, the domain of the function f(x) = ln [ x/ (x-1)] is all real numbers except 0 and 1. The value of the derivative of f at x = -1 is -1/2. To find the inverse function of f, let y=ln [ x/ (x-1)] and solve for x in terms of y to obtain f^(-1)(x).
chris40256

Homework Statement

Let f be the function given by f(x) = ln [ x/ (x-1)]
(a) What is the domain of f?
(b) What is the value of the derivative of f at x = -1.
(c) Write an expression for f^(-1) of x, where f^(-1) denotes the inverse function of f.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. x / x-1 has to be greater then 0 and x cannot equal 1. So i put the domain as all reals except 0 and 1
b. I separated the equation to lnx - lnx-1 and then took the derivative which i found to be 1/x - 1/x-1 and then plugged -1 into that getting -1/2
c. I am not sure how to do this one, help is appreciated =]

Physics news on Phys.org
a) and b) Look correct to me

for part c) you ley y=ln [ x/ (x-1)] and then find x in terms of y
and f^(-1)(x) will be the expression you found when you replace y by x

Related to Natural Log and Inverse derivatives

What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is the logarithm to the base e, where e is a mathematical constant equal to approximately 2.71828.

What is the derivative of the natural logarithm function?

The derivative of the natural logarithm function is 1/x. This means that the slope of the tangent line at any point on the graph of the natural logarithm function is equal to 1 divided by the x-value of that point.

What is the inverse of the natural logarithm function?

The inverse of the natural logarithm function is the exponential function. This means that if we take the natural logarithm of a number, and then raise e to that power, we will get back the original number.

How do you find the derivative of the inverse of the natural logarithm function?

To find the derivative of the inverse of the natural logarithm function, we use the inverse function theorem. This states that the derivative of the inverse of a function is equal to 1 divided by the derivative of the original function evaluated at the inverse function's input.

What is the relationship between natural logarithm and inverse derivatives?

The natural logarithm and inverse derivatives are closely related because they are inverse functions of each other. This means that the derivative of the natural logarithm function is the inverse of the derivative of the exponential function, which is the inverse of the natural logarithm function.