Mw 7.5 coming in on my seismograph

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, A 7.5 magnitude earthquake has occurred east of the Kuril Islands in Russia, according to USGS. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre initially issued a warning for possible hazardous waves, but later stated that waves of less than 30 centimetres above tide level were possible in the northern Pacific. No tsunami warnings have been issued by the authorities. The earthquake occurred at 1:49 pm and the first hour of recording before the trace starts overwriting itself was 1:50 pm.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Likes Dragrath and Bystander
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Any tsunami warnings? That' d be all we need now.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970, epenguin and davenn
This is from stuff.co.nz: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/120568205/78-magnitude-earthquake-near-russia-japan

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre initially warned hazardous waves were possible in parts of the Kurils, but later said based on further analysis that waves of less than 30 centimetres above tide level were possible in the northern Pacific. It noted that the wave height and potential hazard may vary by geography and other local features.

Likes davenn
Bystander said:
Any tsunami warnings? That' d be all we need now.
https://www.tsunami.gov/
No Tsunami Warning, Advisory, Watch, or Threat

Earthquake:
Magnitude:
7.5 Origin Time: 25/03/2020, 1:49:19 pm
Depth: 37 mi.Lat: 49° N Lon: 157.7° E

The first hour of recording before the trace starts overwriting itself

200325 0249UT Mw7.5 nthrn Kurils zhism.jpg

• Wow
Likes Dragrath and pinball1970

Related to Mw 7.5 coming in on my seismograph

1. What does "Mw 7.5" mean on my seismograph?

"Mw" stands for moment magnitude, which is a measure of the size of an earthquake based on the amount of energy it releases. A magnitude 7.5 earthquake is considered a major earthquake and can cause significant damage.

2. Is a magnitude 7.5 earthquake dangerous?

Yes, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake can be very dangerous and cause widespread damage. The severity of the damage depends on factors such as the location of the earthquake and the type of terrain in the affected area.

3. How far away is the earthquake if it is showing as "Mw 7.5" on my seismograph?

The distance of the earthquake from your location cannot be determined solely based on the magnitude shown on your seismograph. The magnitude only indicates the strength of the earthquake, not its distance.

4. Will there be aftershocks after a magnitude 7.5 earthquake?

It is possible for there to be aftershocks after a magnitude 7.5 earthquake, but it is not guaranteed. Aftershocks are smaller earthquakes that occur in the same area as the initial earthquake and can continue for days, weeks, or even months after the main event.

5. What should I do if I see "Mw 7.5" on my seismograph?

If you see a magnitude 7.5 earthquake on your seismograph, it is important to follow any emergency procedures or evacuation orders that may be in place. If you are in an earthquake-prone area, it is always a good idea to have an emergency plan in place and be prepared for potential earthquakes.