Multiple Resistors and Short Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses two circuits and how a short would affect the resistance in each case. For figure 1, there are two possibilities: the equivalent resistance is the sum of the parallel resistors, or there is no equivalent resistance due to the current wanting to travel down the short. For figure 2, there are also two possibilities: the equivalent resistance is the sum of the parallel resistors, or there is no equivalent resistance due to the current wanting to travel down the short. The conversation also mentions redrawing the circuits to make them clearer and the importance of not drawing multiple parallel connecting wires.
boblee

Homework Statement

This is more of a concept question rather than a HW problem, but I have two Circuits shown in the image attached. I am not really understanding how a short would affect resistance in these cases.

2. The attempt at a solution
For figure 1 I am considering one of two possibilities:
1) Req = (R1 || R2) + (R3 || R4)
2) Or there simply is no equivalent resistance b/c the entiretly of the current wants to travel down the short and this creates a contradictory circuit

And for figure 2 (redrawn to the right) I am considering one of two possibilities:
1) Req = (R1 || R3) + (R2 || R4)
2) Or there simply is no equivalent resistance b/c the entiretly of the current wants to travel down the short and this creates a contradictory circuit (same as above)

Anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.
-Thanks!

Attachments

• circuit003.jpg
    circuit003.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
boblee said:

Homework Statement

This is more of a concept question rather than a HW problem, but I have two Circuits shown in the image attached. I am not really understanding how a short would affect resistance in these cases.

2. The attempt at a solution
2) Or there simply is no equivalent resistance b/c the entiretly of the current wants to travel down the short and this creates a contradictory circuit

And for figure 2 (redrawn to the right) I am considering one of two possibilities:
2) Or there simply is no equivalent resistance b/c the entiretly of the current wants to travel down the short and this creates a contradictory circuit (same as above)

Anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.
-Thanks!

I'd say your 'redrawn to the right' fig is 1, not 2 redrawn.

I have not met before the notation you are using but it seems fairly self-explanatory and it looks to me 1.1 is right.

A short means the two nodes connected by it are at the same potential, so it will be clearer to you if you redraw (even mentally) with the shorted nodes fused into one, then it's very simple I hope.

For 2 I understand the nodes are not connected at the 'waist'. So then you have one branch with two in-series resistors and its resistance is their sum, then the same on the other side...

Last edited:
epenguin said:
I'd say your 'redrawn to the right' fig is 1, not 2 redrawn.

I have not met before the notation you are using but it seems fairly self-explanatory and it looks to me 1.1 is right.

A short means the two nodes connected by it are at the same potential, so it will be clearer to you if you redraw (even mentally) with the shorted nodes fused into one, then it's very simple I hope.

For 2 I understand the nodes are not connected at the 'waist'. So then you have one branch with two in-series resistors and its resistance is their sum, then the same on the other side...

thanks for the quick reply.

So for figure 2 the resistors I have circled in blue would be in series?

Attachments

• circuit004.jpg
    circuit004.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 451
boblee said:
correct

correct

When schematic is not clear, keep redrawing it until it becomes clear. This may take multiple trials. Do not draw multiple parallel connecting wires; combine them into one wire.

boblee said:
So for figure 2 the resistors I have circled in blue would be in series?
no they would not be

no two resistors are in series here
there are two pairs of resistors, each pair contains two resistors in parallel, the two pairs are then in series
Figure 1 and 2 are the same, only the subscripts for which resistors are parallel will change, otherwise the basic structure of the circuit in both cases is the same

Related to Multiple Resistors and Short Circuit

1. What is a short circuit?

A short circuit is a connection between two points in an electrical circuit that bypasses the intended path, resulting in a sudden increase in current flow. This can cause damage to the circuit and potentially start a fire.

2. How do multiple resistors affect a circuit?

Multiple resistors connected in a series will increase the overall resistance in a circuit. In contrast, resistors connected in parallel will decrease the overall resistance. This can affect the flow of current and the voltage in the circuit.

3. What happens when a short circuit occurs?

When a short circuit occurs, the current in the circuit will increase dramatically, potentially causing damage to the circuit and other components. The sudden increase in current can also cause a fuse to blow or a circuit breaker to trip, cutting off the power supply to prevent further damage.

4. How can a short circuit be prevented?

A short circuit can be prevented by ensuring that the circuit is properly designed and wired with the correct components. It is important to follow safety protocols and use the right tools and materials when working with electricity to avoid creating a short circuit.

5. How can multiple resistors be used in a circuit?

Multiple resistors can be used in a circuit to control the flow of current and voltage. They can be used to divide the voltage or current in a circuit or to limit the amount of current flowing through a specific component. They can also be used to create voltage drops or to regulate the power supply in a circuit.