MS Physics Programs for Teachers?

In summary, the conversation was about a person with a BS in physics and a teaching license who is looking to pursue a master's degree in their content area. They are seeking information on programs that can accommodate their teaching schedule, such as summer, evening, or online graduate work. Some suggestions were made for programs at the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and Northern Arizona University, with the latter offering a funded option that would not require the person to take time away from teaching. The person also expressed their love for teaching and recommended trying tutoring as a way to see if teaching is a good fit.
andymars
Hello everyone! I have a BS in physics as well as an AZ teaching license and am currently teaching high school physics/math. I plan to get a master's in the next few years and would rather earn one in my content area than in education. I can't seem to find any programs that would allow me to work around my teaching schedule, though. Do any of you know anything about summer/evening/online graduate work? Does such a thing even exist or would I have to take time away from teaching to do this? Thanks for any replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
andymars said:
Hello everyone! I have a BS in physics as well as an AZ teaching license and am currently teaching high school physics/math. I plan to get a master's in the next few years and would rather earn one in my content area than in education. I can't seem to find any programs that would allow me to work around my teaching schedule, though. Do any of you know anything about summer/evening/online graduate work? Does such a thing even exist or would I have to take time away from teaching to do this? Thanks for any replies!
Being in AZ, one might check with UA.

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/physics/people?page=teacher_prep
http://www.physics.arizona.edu/physics/graduate.php?page=ms_program

See if they have a program that can accommodate a teacher's schedule.

Sort of (pretty much completely) off topic, but andymars do you enjoy teaching physics? Reason I ask is I'm about half through my bachelors in physics with a math minor and was thinking about teaching at the high school level.

Any chance you might be able to give me some insight?

I was able to find this program: http://physics.asu.edu/graduate/mns
It's not an MS program, but it does have some advanced physics classes as well as teaching methods classes. It's probably the best program I'm going to find. The only other one I've been able to find is an MS Physics program that has evening classes in Washington state.

As far as teaching goes, I love it. I'm actually teaching math right now trying to get the physics job at my school, but I'm happy either way. I did some tutoring along the way while I was in college and realized that I am a teacher at heart. If you're thinking about being a teacher, I'd recommend trying something like tutoring now and seeing how you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could check out Northern Arizona University's MS in Applied Physics program. I think there is an emphasis option for teaching. Although you wouldn't be able to do it online, the program is funded (no tuition + stipend) if you teach a lab section for physics or astronomy. So you wouldn't actually be away from teaching.

Related to MS Physics Programs for Teachers?

1. What is the purpose of an MS Physics Program for Teachers?

An MS Physics Program for Teachers is designed to provide educators with a deeper understanding of physics concepts and principles, as well as the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively teach physics in a classroom setting.

2. Is an MS Physics Program for Teachers only for those with a background in physics?

No, an MS Physics Program for Teachers is open to individuals with a variety of backgrounds, including those with a degree in physics, engineering, or a related field, as well as those with a teaching degree and a strong interest in physics.

3. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from an MS Physics Program for Teachers?

Through an MS Physics Program for Teachers, you can expect to gain a deeper understanding of physics concepts and principles, as well as the ability to effectively teach these concepts to students. You may also develop skills in experimental design, data analysis, and problem-solving, which are essential for teaching physics.

4. Can I teach physics with just an undergraduate degree in physics?

Yes, it is possible to teach physics with just an undergraduate degree in physics. However, an MS Physics Program for Teachers can provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of physics and pedagogical techniques, making you a more effective and knowledgeable educator.

5. Are there any specific job opportunities for those with an MS Physics Program for Teachers?

While an MS Physics Program for Teachers does not lead to a specific job title, it can enhance your qualifications for teaching positions at the high school or community college level. It may also open up opportunities for curriculum development or educational research in the field of physics.