Moravec's Paradox: AI Reasoning vs Sensorimotor Skills

• Thread starter Constantinos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the article discusses the difficulties in hitting a pitched ball, and how it is the hardest skill in sports. It agrees with the generally accepted view that hitting a pitched ball is the hardest skill in sports.
Constantinos
Hey!

Browsing the web, I came across a pretty interesting idea(at least for me) which I haven't seen people in this forum discuss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravec's_paradox

In just says that high level human cognition is a much easier problem for AI researchers to solve compared to sensorimotor skills. This is because those skills where evolving for far longer than human reasoning. I'm not sure it includes common sense though.

Maybe you'll find it interesting too!

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex activities require complex computations, so what else is new. Anything that involves movement is of course going to require computational power

Say to catch a ball, one has to determine or estimate trajectory, speed, mass etc. and these are all done unconsciously without thinking. I don't buy into the evolutionary explanation of why sensory motor activities are hard for a computer to do - it is hard because of the rules and precision needed in computations. If you are 'out' by 1% in the speed for example you or the computer is going to miss catching the ball. The difficult part is the systems analysis of a situation and once that is refined enough the computations fall in place. The other aspect is that if the computer is too slow in doing the computations than the event will have passed by before the computer gets its answer.

Ever wonder how a hitter can connect with a baseball coming at him 90 miles per hours from 90 feet away? The human brain pretty much has to determine whether to swing or not at the ball as the ball has just left the pitchers hand, and then make minor corrections in the swing before and as the ball is coming across the plate. I have not heard of a perfect computerized system being made that can connect with the ball as many times as hitters actually do - their computation is just too slow.

256bits said:
Ever wonder how a hitter can connect with a baseball coming at him 90 miles per hours from 90 feet away? The human brain pretty much has to determine whether to swing or not at the ball as the ball has just left the pitchers hand, and then make minor corrections in the swing before and as the ball is coming across the plate. I have not heard of a perfect computerized system being made that can connect with the ball as many times as hitters actually do - their computation is just too slow.

Hitting a pitched ball (at the professional level) is the hardest thing in sports according to this source which agrees the with the generally accepted view. The batter has 0.48 seconds from the time the ball leaves the pitcher's hand to the time it plops into the catcher's mitt at 90 mph.The distance is only 63.6 feet (actually less since the pitcher's release point is usually a few feet in front of the rubber).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ten-hardest-splash.htm

Last edited:

Related to Moravec's Paradox: AI Reasoning vs Sensorimotor Skills

1. What is Moravec's Paradox?

Moravec's Paradox is the observation that artificial intelligence systems often struggle with tasks that humans find easy, such as reasoning and abstract thinking, while excelling at tasks that humans find difficult, such as sensorimotor skills.

2. Who is Hans Moravec?

Hans Moravec is a roboticist and AI researcher who first proposed the paradox in the 1980s. He studied the differences between human and artificial intelligence and found that the skills that are easy for humans are difficult for AI, and vice versa.

3. What are examples of reasoning tasks that AI struggles with?

Some examples of reasoning tasks that AI struggles with include abstract thinking, creativity, and understanding complex emotions. These tasks require high-level cognitive abilities that are difficult for AI to replicate.

4. How do AI systems excel at sensorimotor skills?

AI systems excel at sensorimotor skills by using algorithms and machine learning to analyze large amounts of data and make decisions based on that data. They can also perform repetitive tasks with high precision and speed, making them ideal for tasks like assembly line work or surgical procedures.

5. Can AI ever overcome Moravec's Paradox?

It is possible for AI to overcome Moravec's Paradox, but it would require significant advancements in technology and understanding of human cognition. Some researchers believe that by incorporating human-like learning and decision-making processes into AI systems, they may be able to achieve a more balanced skill set similar to humans.