Model of RL Circuit using the Energy function

In summary: R_a i_a^2\end{equation}Therefore, the system is stable, as the time derivative of the energy function is negative, indicating that the energy of the system is decreasing over time.In summary, the time derivative of the energy function for the given system is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the energy function with respect to the state variables and substituting the equations for the state variables into the resulting expression. This leads to the conclusion that the system is stable, as the time derivative of the energy function is negative.
CyberneticsInside

Homework Statement

From the textbook:
We define an energy function
\begin{equation}
V(\textbf{x},t) \leq 0
\end{equation}
for the system
\begin{equation}
\dot{\textbf{x}} = \textbf{f}(\textbf{x},\textbf{u},t).
\end{equation}
The function V may be the total energy of the system, or it may be some other function, usually related to energy. When the system evolves the time derivative of the energy function is
\begin{equation}
\dot{V} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial \textbf{x}} \textbf{f}(\textbf{x},\textbf{u},t).
\end{equation}
(end of text from textbook)

The question:
A voltage controlled DC motor ca be described by the model
\begin{equation}
L_a \frac{d i_a}{dt} = -R_a i_a - K_E \omega_m + u_a
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
J_m \frac{d \omega_m}{dt} = K_T i_a - T_L
\end{equation}

Let K_E = K_T and T_L =0 and u_a = 0
show that system is stable by using the energy function
\begin{equation}
E = \frac{1}{2} L_a i_a^2 + \frac{1}{2} J_m \omega_m^2
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

The method is simple, I just need to find the time derivative of the energy function, to prove the system' stability, but I keep messing up somewhere.

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{equation}
\dot{E} = \frac{\partial E}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial E}{\partial \textbf{x}} \textbf{f}(\textbf{x},\textbf{u},t)
\end{equation}
Lets start with the first part on the right hand side of the equation
\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial E}{\partial t} = L_a i_a \frac{d i_a}{dt} + J_m \omega_m \dot{\omega_m}
\end{equation}

after som rearanging and substituting, I find that this expression leads to

\begin{equation}
-R_a i_a^2
\end{equation}

Now the second part of the right hand side:
\begin{equation}
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\partial E}{\partial i_a} & \frac{\partial E}{\partial \omega_m} \\
\end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{R_a i_a}{L_a} - \frac{K_E \omega_m}{L_a} + \frac{1}{L_a} u_a \\
\frac{K_T i_a}{J_m} - \frac{T_L}{J_m}
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}

\begin{bmatrix}
L i_a & J_m \omega_m
\end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{R_a i_a}{L_a} - \frac{K_E \omega_m}{L_a} + \frac{1}{L_a} u_a \\
\end{bmatrix}

\end{equation}
which also leads to

\begin{equation}
-R_a i_a^2
\end{equation}

(Atempt finnished)

The solutions manual states that
\begin{equation}
\dot{E} = -R_a i_a^2
\end{equation}

and not

\begin{equation}
\dot{E} = -2R_a i_a^2
\end{equation}

which I keep getting, I think my multivariable calculus is a bit rusty, can someone please be so kind to help me out? It would have been much appritiated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some clarification. First of all, your approach is correct. The time derivative of the energy function is indeed given by the equation
\begin{equation}
\dot{E} = \frac{\partial E}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial E}{\partial \textbf{x}} \textbf{f}(\textbf{x},\textbf{u},t)
\end{equation}
However, there is a small mistake in your calculation. In the second part of the right hand side, you have correctly calculated the partial derivatives of the energy function with respect to the state variables, but you have not taken into account the fact that the system is at equilibrium, i.e. u_a = 0 and T_L = 0. Therefore, the equation should be
\begin{equation}
\begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{R_a i_a}{L_a} - \frac{K_E \omega_m}{L_a} \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}
which simplifies to
\begin{equation}
\begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}
-\frac{R_a i_a}{L_a} - \frac{K_E \omega_m}{L_a} \\
\frac{K_T i_a}{J_m}
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}
Plugging this into the equation for the time derivative of the energy function, we get
\begin{equation}
\dot{E} = L_a i_a \frac{d i_a}{dt} + J_m \omega_m \dot{\omega_m} - R_a i_a^2 - K_E \omega_m i_a + K_T i_a \omega_m
\end{equation}
Substituting the equations for the state variables into this expression, we get
\begin{equation}
\dot{E} =

Related to Model of RL Circuit using the Energy function

1. What is a Model of RL Circuit using the Energy function?

A model of RL (resistor-inductor) circuit using the energy function is a mathematical representation of the behavior and dynamics of an RL circuit. It uses the concept of energy conservation to describe the relationship between the voltage, current, and energy stored in the circuit's inductor and resistor.

2. How is the Energy function used in the Model of RL Circuit?

The energy function is used to calculate the amount of energy stored in the inductor and resistor in an RL circuit. It is also used to determine the rate at which energy is transferred between the inductor and resistor, as well as the voltage and current in the circuit.

3. What are the key components of the Model of RL Circuit using the Energy function?

The key components of the model of RL circuit using the energy function are the inductor, resistor, and energy function. The inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat. The energy function describes the relationship between the energy, voltage, and current in the circuit.

4. How does the Model of RL Circuit using the Energy function differ from other circuit models?

The model of RL circuit using the energy function differs from other circuit models in that it takes into account the energy stored in the inductor and resistor. Other models may only consider the voltage and current in the circuit, while the energy function model provides a more comprehensive understanding of the circuit's behavior.

5. What are the practical applications of the Model of RL Circuit using the Energy function?

The model of RL circuit using the energy function has practical applications in electrical engineering, particularly in analyzing and designing circuits with inductors and resistors. It can also be used in power systems and electronic devices to understand and optimize their performance.