Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions

In summary, the rule for taking roots of fractions is not universally true and only applies for positive real numbers. This explains why \sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}} \neq \sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}} when \frac{1}{-1} = \frac{-1}{1}. It is important to consider the conditions under which these rules apply.
a.powell

Homework Statement

Why is
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}} \neq \sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}[/itex]
when quite obviously
[itex]\frac{1}{-1} = \frac{-1}{1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

By the above inequality, I mean when one calculates [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}}[/itex], and [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}[/itex]. Is it just that the "rule" which is taught at school for taking roots of fractions just doesn't always apply? That'd seem a little arbitrary.

This isn't a homework question, it's just something that popped into my mind while lying in bed, interspersed among much more interesting thoughts on isospin. I'm a final-year mathematician at university and I can't believe I'm asking such a basic question, but my migraine-addled brain won't let me work out why the above is true. It seems so trivial and pathetically simple that I must be missing something really obvious. Could someone shed some light and save me from my shame in asking such a question?

Physics news on Phys.org
a.powell said:

Homework Statement

Why is
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}} \neq \sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}[/itex]
when quite obviously
[itex]\frac{1}{-1} = \frac{-1}{1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

By the above inequality, I mean when one calculates [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}}[/itex], and [itex]\sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}[/itex]. Is it just that the "rule" which is taught at school for taking roots of fractions just doesn't always apply? That'd seem a little arbitrary.

This isn't a homework question, it's just something that popped into my mind while lying in bed, interspersed among much more interesting thoughts on isospin. I'm a final-year mathematician at university and I can't believe I'm asking such a basic question, but my migraine-addled brain won't let me work out why the above is true. It seems so trivial and pathetically simple that I must be missing something really obvious. Could someone shed some light and save me from my shame in asking such a question?

The rule you learned is not universally true: the identity
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}} = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}[/tex]
is true for b > 0 and a ≥ 0. As you have seen, it is not true when a < 0 and/or b < 0. The same can be said for the identity
[tex] \sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a} \sqrt{b}[/tex]
and for
[tex] \log(ab) = \log(a) + \log(b),[/tex]
etc.

RGV

So it really was a case of the taught rule not applying everywhere, I'm a little disappointed it was that simple to be honest. Oh well, thank you both for saving me, back to bed for more thoughts on isospin.

Related to Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions

1. What are "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions"?

"Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions" are fractions that contain imaginary numbers, which are numbers that involve the square root of a negative number. These fractions can be challenging to work with because they do not follow the same rules as real numbers.

2. How do you add or subtract "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions"?

To add or subtract "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions", you must first convert the fractions to have a common denominator. Then, you can combine the numerators and keep the common denominator. Make sure to simplify the final answer if possible.

3. Can "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions" be simplified?

Yes, "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions" can be simplified, just like real fractions. You can simplify by finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator and dividing both by it. Keep simplifying until you cannot simplify anymore.

4. How do you multiply or divide "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions"?

To multiply "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions", you can simply multiply the numerators and denominators separately, then simplify if needed. To divide, you must first turn the divisor (bottom fraction) into its reciprocal (flip the fraction), then follow the same steps as multiplication.

5. What is the best way to approach solving equations with "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions"?

The best way to solve equations with "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions" is to isolate the fraction on one side of the equation and use the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing "Misbehaving Imaginary Fractions" to solve for the variable. Remember to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.