Minimize area of triangular prism and find the height, when the volume is V

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height of a triangular prism with isosceles triangles and an open bottom, in order to minimize the surface area while maintaining a given volume. The equations used include the surface area formula, the height formula, and the partial derivatives. The final solution is the cubic root of the given volume divided by the square root of 2.
Inertigratus

Homework Statement

The triangular prism looks like this: http://www.korthalsaltes.com/photo/triangular_prism.jpg
The triangles are "isosceles" triangles though, with the base facing down.
However, this one is open on the bottom.
They want me to find the height of the prism, when the area is as small as possible and the volume is "V".

I put the bottom of the prism at [itex]z = 0[/itex], and the middle part at [itex]x = y = 0[/itex] meaning that one quarter of the bottom is in each quadrant in the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

Area [itex]= 2(2xh) + yz = 4xh + 2yz[/itex]
[itex]h = \sqrt{y^2 + z^2}[/itex]
[itex]f(x, y, z) = 4xh + 2yz[/itex]
[itex]g(x, y, z) = 2xyz[/itex]
[itex]g(x, y, z) = V[/itex] (a constant)
[itex]\frac{dh}{dy} = -\frac{y}{h}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dh}{dz} = -\frac{z}{h}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{df}{dx} = 4h[/itex]
[itex]\frac{df}{dy} = 2z - \frac{4xy}{h}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = 2y - \frac{4xz}{h}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\nabla f(x, y, z) = 0[/itex] gives:
[itex]h = 2z[/itex] (from the partial derivative w.r.t. z)
[itex]h^2 = 4xy[/itex] (from the partial derivative w.r.t. y)
Plugging this into [itex]g(x, y, z) = \frac{h^3}{4} = V[/itex]
Obviously the height is maximal when [itex]y = 0[/itex] and therefor we can change say that [itex]h^3 = z^3[/itex].
However, the answer is supposed to be the qubic root of [itex]\frac{V}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex].
Any ideas what might be wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inertigratus said:
They want me to find the height of the prism, when the area is as small as possible and the volume is "V".
By area, do you mean the surface area of triangular prism or the area of the triangle?

e(ho0n3 said:
By area, do you mean the surface area of triangular prism or the area of the triangle?

Yes, the surface area. I have to find the height of the tent (triangular prism) when the use of material is minimized, meaning as small a surface area as possible.
Note, the tent has no bottom side, so it's two triangles and two rectangles.

(just noticed that one of the partial derivatives were wrong, will see if I get the correct answer after fixing it)

Yay, solved it... sorry if I confused someone, I messed up the derivative w.r.t z.

Last edited:

Related to Minimize area of triangular prism and find the height, when the volume is V

1. How can I minimize the area of a triangular prism?

The area of a triangular prism can be minimized by reducing the length and width of the base while keeping the height constant. This will result in a smaller base area and therefore a smaller total surface area.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a triangular prism?

The formula for calculating the volume of a triangular prism is V = 1/2 * base area * height. The base area can be found by multiplying the base length and base width.

3. How can I find the height of a triangular prism given its volume?

To find the height of a triangular prism, divide the volume by 1/2 * base area. This will give you the height of the prism.

4. Can the area of a triangular prism be negative?

No, the area of a triangular prism cannot be negative. It is a physical measurement and therefore cannot have a negative value.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement for the volume of a triangular prism?

The volume of a triangular prism can be measured in any unit of volume, such as cubic centimeters, cubic meters, or liters. It is important to use consistent units when performing calculations.