Millimeter Wave Dosimeter

• I
  • Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, a Millimeter Wave Dosimeter is a device used to measure exposure to millimeter wave radiation in research and industrial settings. It works by detecting and measuring the intensity of radiation and is commonly used in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and defense. While low levels of exposure are not harmful, prolonged or high levels may have adverse effects, making the use of dosimeters important in minimizing potential health risks. The accuracy of a dosimeter depends on the quality and calibration of its sensors and should be used in conjunction with other safety measures.
cuallito
Hi I'm trying to duplicate the experiment in the paper I've attached. I'm having some trouble sourcing the carbon loaded teflon described in the paper. Would something like graphite sheet work? I guess as long as you had something semi-conductive that heats so when EM radiation passes thru it, it should work?

Attachments

• 10.1.1.658.4441.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
WE have recently been discussing resistive paper on the Forum, maybe it will work, especially two layers of it? It is 800 Ohms per square. It is called Teledeltos Paper and is available from education suppliers.

Likes cuallito

Related to Millimeter Wave Dosimeter

1. What is a millimeter wave dosimeter?

A millimeter wave dosimeter is a device used to measure the amount of radiation exposure from millimeter waves. It is commonly used in research and industrial settings to monitor the levels of radiation that workers may be exposed to.

2. How does a millimeter wave dosimeter work?

A millimeter wave dosimeter works by using sensors to detect the amount of radiation in the surrounding environment. It then converts this information into an electrical signal, which is then measured and displayed on the dosimeter's screen.

3. What types of radiation can a millimeter wave dosimeter measure?

A millimeter wave dosimeter is specifically designed to measure millimeter wave radiation, which falls within the frequency range of 30 to 300 gigahertz. It can also measure other types of radiation, such as microwaves and radio waves, but with less accuracy.

4. How accurate are millimeter wave dosimeters?

Millimeter wave dosimeters are highly accurate in measuring radiation levels. They can detect even small changes in radiation levels and provide real-time readings. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the specific model and its calibration.

5. Are millimeter wave dosimeters safe to use?

Yes, millimeter wave dosimeters are safe to use as they do not emit any radiation themselves. They simply measure the radiation levels in the surrounding environment. However, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when handling and using the dosimeter.