Mechanics question (beginner level)

• Thread starter trew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses resolving a 25N force into two components, one perpendicular and one parallel to the acceleration. The angle of the force with respect to the incline is important in determining the components. The correct right triangle must be used to find the components accurately. While using sine and cosine can be a good method, it is important to always understand the problem intuitively.
trew
Homework Statement
Find acceleration of the box
Relevant Equations
coefficient of friction and
m1problem.JPG

I'm okay with the concept of resolving into two components.

BUT, with re: to resolving perpendicular to the acceleration, I don't understand how 25cos80 comes into?

Surely it should be included when I'm resolving in the direction of the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that cos(80) = sin(10). Sine and cosine are co-functions.

Likes trew
trew said:
Surely it should be included when I'm resolving in the direction of the acceleration?
The component of the 25N in the direction of acceleration would be 25 cos(10). This is the other component.

Likes trew
Doc Al said:
Don't forget that cos(80) = sin(10). Sine and cosine are co-functions.
haruspex said:
The component of the 25N in the direction of acceleration would be 25 cos(10). This is the other component.

Thanks for your help so far but tbh I'm still lost.

Here's what I've done so far:
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-28 at 16.50.54.jpeg

So I've resolved the first part into 2gsin10 and 2gcos10 but after looking at the problem for the past hour I still can't see how I can break down the 25N into two components.

trew said:
I still can't see how I can break down the 25N into two components.
Draw a similar triangle for that 25N force. The force acts horizontally: you want its components perpendicular and parallel to the incline. What angle does the force make with the incline?

Likes trew
Doc Al said:
Draw a similar triangle for that 25N force. The force acts horizontally: you want its components perpendicular and parallel to the incline. What angle does the force make with the incline?

Ok so I did that and this is what I got:
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-28 at 17.15.02.jpeg

so I can't see how I would still get 25cos10 for the hypotenuse side? Or have I done this triangle wrong?

trew said:
Or have I done this triangle wrong?
Yes, the triangle is wrong. The 25N force must be the hypotenuse of the right triangle. (The components will be the shorter sides.)

Likes trew
Doc Al said:
Yes, the triangle is wrong. The 25N force must be the hypotenuse of the right triangle. (The components will be the shorter sides.)

Ok I'm back a day later and I still don't get it o_O

I looked at this video:
which has pretty much the same question and I still can't visualise the triangle with the 25N force being the hypotenuse.

I've tried many combinations but I can't form a triangle with the 25N and it's two components.

Doc Al said:

Also, I like using sin0=opp/hyp and cos0=adj/hyp to work out these forces but since I can't see how that triangle is formed I can't use this method.

For me it's the best method since I can learn what's going intuitively as opposed to assuming that cos is associated with the x-direction and sin with the y-direction.

trew said:
Also, I like using sin0=opp/hyp and cos0=adj/hyp to work out these forces but since I can't see how that triangle is formed I can't use this method.
Nothing wrong with using a right triangle to find the components. Here's a diagram for a similar problem (that I found on the web). Perhaps it might inspire you:

In that diagram, the applied force Fa is horizontal just like in your problem. (See if you can find the correct right triangle.)

trew said:
For me it's the best method since I can learn what's going intuitively as opposed to assuming that cos is associated with the x-direction and sin with the y-direction.
Good! Never do things blindly as you can easily make a mistake.

Nonetheless, as long as the angle Θ is with respect to some axis (whatever that is in your problem), then FcosΘ will be the component parallel to that axis.

Can you find the x and y components of the 25 N force?

Resolve.png

Related to Mechanics question (beginner level)

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of physical objects under the influence of forces.

2. What are the basic concepts in mechanics?

The basic concepts in mechanics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, mass, and energy.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points of an object's motion.

4. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion.

5. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.