Mechanics and materials problem....

In summary, the problem involves a copper alloy with a gauge length of 2 inches, a strain of 0.4 inch/inch, and a stress of 70 ksi. The yield stress is 45 ksi and the yield strain is 0.0025 inch/inch. The question is asking for the distance between the gauge points when the load is released. To solve this, the initial gauge length is multiplied by the strain to find the total elongation, which is then added to the initial length to find the new length of 2.8 inches. The Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the yield stress by the yield strain and a stress-strain graph is used to determine that the applied stress is in the plastic region
aldo sebastian
Thread moved from the technical Engineering forums, so no Homework Help Template has been used.
The problem is: A copper alloy having gauge length of 2 inches is subjected to strain of 0.4 inch/inch when the stress is 70 ksi. if yield stress is 45 ksi and yield strain is 0.0025 inch/inch, determine the distance between the gauge points when the load is released

So I tried to do this problem in the following way:
-I multiply the 0.4 strain with the initial gauge length to find the total elongation
-I added the total elongation to initial length to find new length, which is 2.8 inches

-I find the young's modulus by dividing yield stress with yield strain. I then made the stress strain graph and found out that the stress applied is in the plastic region (bigger than yield), so when load is released, the strain will not return to 0 point. However, the rate at which the beam gets thinner from that region is still young's modulus.
-So I used young's mod to find the plastic strain when stress is 0 by dividing 70 with young's mod, then subtracting 0.4 to the result (i.e. 0.4-result) to get this plastic strain
-and so, the new elongation/reduction in length is then the strain multiplied by original length (2.8 inch when load is applied).
-so the final length is 2.8-(new elongation) (minus because now the beam gets thinner)

I got the value of 1.7 inch, but the back of the book says its 2.792 inch. where was I wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How can the specimen possibly be shorter after the load is released?

Related to Mechanics and materials problem....

1. What is the difference between mechanics and materials?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements. Materials refer to the substances or compounds used to create a physical body. In short, mechanics studies the behavior of materials when subjected to external forces.

2. What are some common problems encountered in mechanics and materials?

Some common problems encountered in mechanics and materials include stress and strain analysis, failure analysis, and design optimization. These problems can occur in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

3. How are mechanics and materials used in engineering?

Mechanics and materials are essential in engineering as they help in understanding the behavior and properties of different materials under various conditions. This knowledge is then applied in designing and creating safe and efficient structures, machines, and devices.

4. What are some methods used to solve mechanics and materials problems?

There are various methods used to solve mechanics and materials problems, such as analytical methods, numerical methods, and experimental methods. Analytical methods involve using mathematical equations to solve problems, while numerical methods use computer software to simulate and analyze problems. Experimental methods involve conducting physical tests on materials to gather data and analyze their behavior.

5. How do mechanics and materials play a role in everyday life?

Mechanics and materials play a significant role in our daily lives, from the clothes we wear to the buildings we live in. The study of mechanics helps in understanding the forces and stresses that affect structures, while materials science helps in developing and improving the materials used to create these structures. Additionally, mechanics and materials are also used in the development of new technologies, such as electronics and medical devices.