Measuring aperture size through Lumen intensity -- Advice.please

In summary: If you want an interesting spin off project try developing a position sensing system using a digital camera .This is a really good idea. A digital camera has a wide dynamic range so you can measure large variations in light levels and you can also measure the speed of the object.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings everyone.
I'm working on a project that requires the very accurate measurement of distance varying between 0.500'' and 0.050''. I need to measure the distance within at most 0.010'' tolerance and give the value digitally. The read-rate is once every second.

I'm on a very tight budget and there's obviously too many ways to do this than are readily countable- notably a micrometer, but i'd like to avoid that for certain reasons. Instead, I'd like to focus on the possibility of using a light sensor to measure the amount of light blocked by a barrier. The light source would be a LED and the barrier's movement would be coupled with the object's movement. I'm envisioning a ~0.625'' diameter, black tube with a LED at one end and a photocell at the other with a slit in the tube for the barrier to move up and down in.

My question is whether or not anybody has had much success with measuring such slight differences in light levels using commercially available, cheap photoresistors or photocells. I'm also curious of what some of the challenges for practical application might be.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand your description correctly, it sounds like a reasonable was of doing it. Just a few thoughts. Both the LED and the photosensor should run off a very well regulated supply. If the size of the light sensitive area is at least 0.45 inches in diameter and square in shape, and if the barrier is immediately in front of the photosensor I think it might work quite well. If however the photosensor is smaller or circular in shape, I think you will have problems.

Last edited:
I could add that a reference path with a fixed aperture and another sensor could eliminate some drift errors. Instead of just measuring sensor output level, you can compare it with a reference and that could help to eliminate LED output variation and temperature sensitivity of sensors etc..

Thank you for your help.

I like the idea of using a second sensor with a fixed aperture using the same light source to establish a baseline. I'm concerned about a photocell's effective scan rate. I know photocells take a moment to stabilize with a change in intensity. Do you think that might be a problem?

(1) Use a moving vane with a variable width slot in it . Put a fixed slit aperture in front of LED .

(2) If you want an interesting spin off project try developing a position sensing system using a digital camera .

taylaron said:
I know photocells take a moment to stabilize with a change in intensity.
You are referring to the frequency response and that can be extremely high (tens of MHz), so not a problem. But, if you want to operate in room lighting, you would, presumably want to eliminate stray Mains Hum effects so you would want to band pass filter your detector output and operate with a shutter frequency well above mains frequency (and away from mains harmonics).
Nidum said:
(1) Use a moving vane with a variable width slot in it . Put a fixed slit aperture in front of LED .
Good idea. You can then use synchronous detection at the shutter rate and eliminate low frequency noise. You don't need a shutter: you can just drive the LED with the same AC frequency as your detection circuit (a common 'clock frequency') Synchronous detection is a very powerful system and it can increase your effective signal to noise ratio significantly. Don't be put off from the idea just because it sounds complicated. It's something you could do retrospectively if you have error problems, because it could only involve electronics and not affect your mechanical design.

Related to Measuring aperture size through Lumen intensity -- Advice.please

1. What is aperture size and why is it important to measure it?

Aperture size refers to the diameter of the opening in a lens or optical instrument. It is important to measure aperture size because it affects the amount of light that can enter the instrument, which in turn impacts the quality and clarity of the resulting image or measurement.

2. How do you measure aperture size through lumen intensity?

To measure aperture size through lumen intensity, you will need a light source with a known lumen output, a light meter, and the instrument with the aperture you want to measure. First, measure the lumen intensity of the light source at a certain distance. Then, place the instrument in front of the light source at the same distance and measure the lumen intensity again. The ratio of the two measurements will give you the aperture size.

3. What are the limitations of measuring aperture size through lumen intensity?

One limitation is that it assumes the instrument is receiving light from all angles, which may not always be the case. Also, this method does not take into account the effects of diffraction, which can affect the measurement of aperture size.

4. Are there other methods for measuring aperture size?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a caliper to physically measure the diameter of the aperture, or using a microscope to measure the size of the aperture opening. However, these methods may not be as accurate or precise as measuring through lumen intensity.

5. How can measuring aperture size through lumen intensity be useful in scientific research?

Measuring aperture size through lumen intensity can be useful in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and photography. It allows for precise and non-destructive measurement of aperture size, which can help in determining the quality and capabilities of different instruments. It can also aid in optimizing the performance and design of new instruments.