Measuring Angular Velocity of a Hinged Iron Bar

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the angular velocity of an iron bar hinged on an axis with a limited path of 45 degrees. A graph of the angular velocity along this path is needed and the time taken to cover 45 degrees is approximately 20ms. The suggested method involves using a protractor in the background and taking a video to measure the change in angle frame-by-frame. The source of the angular motion is a click of a spring and there is no mention of friction.
Cesare
Good morning,

I have an iron bar (35 cm long) hinged on an axis. The path of this bar is limited to 45 degrees.
I have to measure the angular velocity of the bar when it rotates 45 degrees. I need to get a graph of variation of the angular velocity along the 45 degree paths. The time taken to cover 45 degrees, is about 20ms

Can You help me?
Cesar

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ave Cesar, :welcome:

I have an iron bar (35 cm long) hinged on an axis. The path of this bar is limited to 45 degrees.
This is still rather ambiguous. Can you explain a bit clearer and post a picture ?

Last edited:
I have attached a photo.

?temp_hash=99a0c958205e4b711c1a03bd739279b4.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 403
I would put a protractor in the background, then take a video. From the video you can see change in angle frame-by-frame.

Likes Bandit127
I need angular velocity and not only angle.

And what is it that causes the anglar motion ? Where does the angular motion starr ?
Where is the 45 degrees limitation you mentioned in your post #1 ?
Is there any source of friction at all ?

Cesare said:
I need angular velocity and not only angle.

If your video takes 30 frames per second, and if you measure a difference A in the angle from one frame to the next frame, then angular velocity is 30A degrees per second.

The angular motion is caused from a click of a spring that I can not known.

If you want a better answer, you have to explain more about what you're doing.

Related to Measuring Angular Velocity of a Hinged Iron Bar

1. How is angular velocity measured?

Angular velocity is measured by determining the rate of change of the angular displacement of an object over time. This can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time.

2. What is a hinged iron bar?

A hinged iron bar is a physical object made of iron that is connected to a fixed point or pivot, allowing it to rotate around that point. It is often used in experiments to study rotational motion and angular velocity.

3. Why is it important to measure angular velocity?

Measuring angular velocity is important for understanding the rotational motion of objects. It can help scientists analyze the speed and direction of rotation, as well as the forces and torques acting on the object.

4. What are some methods for measuring angular velocity?

There are several methods for measuring angular velocity, including using a protractor and stopwatch to measure the change in angle over time, using a rotary encoder to directly measure angular displacement, or using a tachometer to measure the rotational speed of a shaft.

5. What factors can affect the measurement of angular velocity?

The accuracy of measuring angular velocity can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measuring instrument, the smoothness of the rotating surface, and any external forces or friction acting on the object. It is important to minimize these factors in order to obtain accurate measurements.