Maya's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a Riemann sum and definite integral

In summary, the approximate area of the strip with respect to y is equal to the sum of the widths of the strips multiplied by the delta y.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I need some help with calculus 1 please?

Here's my problem:
Write a Riemann sum and then a definite integral representing the area of the region, using the strip shown in the figure below. Evaluate the integral exactly.

View attachment 1138

What is the approximate area of the strip with respect to y? (Use Delta y for Δy as necessary.)

In your definite integral what is the upper endpoint given that the lower endpoint is 0?

and finally, what is the result when you evaluate the definite integral?

10 points to best answer! Thanks!

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Attachments

• 8-1-007.jpg
    8-1-007.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 77
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Maya,

I will choose to use the lower end of each strip to determine its width.

For an arbitrary strip, its area can be found as follows:

\(\displaystyle A_k=bh\)

where:

\(\displaystyle y_k=k\frac{y_n-y_0}{n}=k\frac{1-0}{n}=\frac{k}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle b=y_k-y_k^2=\frac{nk-k^2}{n^2}\)

\(\displaystyle h=\Delta y=y_{k+1}-y_{k}=\frac{1}{n}\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle A_k=\left(y_k-y_k^2 \right)\Delta y=\frac{nk-k^2}{n^3}\)

Now, summing the strips, we find:

\(\displaystyle A_n=\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(\frac{nk-k^2}{n^3} \right)=\frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(nk-k^2 \right)\)

Using the following identities:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(k)=\frac{n(n-1)}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(k^2)=\frac{n(n-1)(2n-1)}{6}\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle A_n=\frac{1}{n^3}\left(\frac{n^2(n-1)}{2}-\frac{n(n-1)(2n-1)}{6} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle A_n=\frac{1}{n^3}\left(\frac{n\left(n^2-1 \right)}{6} \right)=\frac{n^2-1}{6n^2}\)

Thus, when we write the definite integral and evaluate it, we should find it is equal to:

\(\displaystyle A=\lim_{n\to\infty}A_n=\frac{1}{6}\)

Now, to represent the area as a definite integral, we may use:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_0^1 y-y^2\,dy=\left[\frac{y^2}{2}-\frac{y^3}{3} \right]_0^1=\frac{1}{6}\left[3y^2-2y^3 \right]_0^1=\frac{1}{6}((3-2)-(0-0))=\frac{1}{6}\)

Related to Maya's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a Riemann sum and definite integral

1. What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and finding the sum of their areas.

2. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the exact area under a curve by taking the limit of Riemann sums as the size of the rectangles approaches zero.

3. How are Riemann sums and definite integrals related?

Riemann sums are used to approximate the area under a curve, while definite integrals are used to find the exact area. As the size of the rectangles in the Riemann sum approaches zero, the approximation becomes more and more accurate and approaches the value of the definite integral.

4. What is the purpose of using Riemann sums and definite integrals?

Riemann sums and definite integrals are used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve finding the area under a curve. They can also be used to find the volume of irregular shapes and to solve optimization problems.

5. How can I use Riemann sums and definite integrals to solve real-world problems?

Riemann sums and definite integrals are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force, finding the center of mass of an irregular object, and determining the amount of material needed to construct a certain shape. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze real-world phenomena.