Maximizing DIY Battery Pack Capacity: Understanding Amp-hours vs. Watt-hours

In summary, the speaker is a university student in the Netherlands who has been assigned to build a robot on a budget. They want to make their own battery pack to power the motors and have researched using multiple AA Alkaline batteries. They understand the concept of voltage and current, but are unsure about the capacity when connecting multiple batteries. After some thought and calculations, they realize that the energy capacity in terms of Watt-hours will multiply, but the charge capacity in terms of Amp-hours will remain the same. Therefore, the battery pack will have a higher output of 3.0 V and 2700 mAh.
CasVS
Hi,

I am a university student in the Netherlands and I just got the assignment of building a robot on a budget. Because of this budget I would like to make the battery pack that powers the 2 servo motors and 2 electric motors myself.

I did some research and found out it would be best to connect multiple AA Alkaline (1.5 V 2700 mAh) batteries. I know my basic physics as the current will stay the same and voltage adds up, though what about the capacity? I understand how this battery works but now my question was if I connect for example two batteries do I get a battery pack that can deliver 3.0 V with 5400 mAh, or just the 3.0 V with again a capacity of 2700 mAh.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CasVS said:
two batteries do I get a battery pack that can deliver 3.0 V with 5400 mAh, or just the 3.0 V with again a capacity of 2700 mAh.
Think about it ... a little bit more and you will have answered your own question.:rolleyes::wink:

Bystander said:
Think about it ... a little bit more and you will have answered your own question.:rolleyes::wink:
You sound like my physics tutors haha! I calculated the amount of Watts and think it is silly to assume that both the capacity and the voltage gets doubled. So from this I will assume that the battery pack would have a 8.1 W output with the 3.0 V and 2700 mAh!

Thanks

Likes Bystander
Ta-da.

Likes CasVS
See ? You new all along !

That's a pretty common source of confusion. Charge capacity in terms of Amp-hours does not change with the number of series cells, but energy capacity in terms of Watt-hours multiplies with the number of series cells. For a load that consumes a constant amount of power run time will double, for an ohmic load where power consumption goes up with voltage run time will not increase.

Related to Maximizing DIY Battery Pack Capacity: Understanding Amp-hours vs. Watt-hours

1. What is a DIY battery pack capacity?

A DIY battery pack capacity refers to the amount of energy that a battery pack can store and deliver to power a device or system. This capacity is typically measured in ampere-hours (Ah) or watt-hours (Wh).

2. How do I calculate the capacity of my DIY battery pack?

The capacity of a DIY battery pack can be calculated by multiplying the battery's voltage by its ampere-hour rating. For example, a 12V battery with a 10Ah rating would have a capacity of 120Wh (12V x 10Ah = 120Wh).

3. What factors can affect the capacity of a DIY battery pack?

The capacity of a DIY battery pack can be affected by factors such as the type and quality of the battery cells used, the temperature in which the battery is being used, and the charging and discharging rates of the battery.

4. Can I increase the capacity of my DIY battery pack?

Yes, it is possible to increase the capacity of a DIY battery pack by adding more battery cells in parallel or by using higher capacity cells. However, this may require additional knowledge and expertise in battery pack building and may also affect the overall size and weight of the pack.

5. How do I maintain the capacity of my DIY battery pack?

To maintain the capacity of a DIY battery pack, it is important to follow proper charging and discharging practices, avoid extreme temperatures, and use high-quality battery cells. Regularly monitoring the capacity of the pack and replacing old or damaged cells can also help maintain its overall capacity.