Maximize Revenue for Quadratic Problem at Movie Theatre

• Thread starter Imperil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
Thank you!In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the cost of movie tickets and the revenue of a movie theatre, with the equation R = -40c^2 - 720c being used. However, there seems to be a typo in the equation as it should be R = -40c^2 + 720c. This is important to note as it changes the outcome of the calculation. It is recommended to double check with the instructor to confirm the correct equation.
Imperil
A movie theatre sells tickets for $8.50 each. The manager is considering raising the prices but knows that for every 50 cents the price is raised, 20 fewer people go to the movies. The equation R = -40c^2 = 720c describes the relationship between the cost of tickets, c dollars, and the amount of revenue, R dollars, that the theatre makes. What price should the theatre charge to maximize revenue?

I believe what I need to do is find the maximum vertex of the parabola in order to solve the equation. So I did the following:

R = -40c^2 - 720c
= -40(c^2 - 18c)
= -40(c^2 - 18c + 9^2 - 9^2) <-- complete the square
= -40(c^2 - 18c + 81 - 81)
= -40[(c^2 - 9)^2 - 81)
= -40(c^2 - 9)^2 + 3240

Which would give me a vertex (9, 3240) but this does not make sense to me, I am not sure what I am looking for to be honest. I believe that the maximum price would be $9.00 to have a revenue of $3240, is this correct and I am just second guessing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be thinking in the right direction, although I did not analyze your work in detail. One spot of confusion is what you say, equation R = -40c^2 = 720c describes the relationship between the cost of tickets, c dollars, and the amount of revenue, R dollars, that the theatre makes", does not make sense. OOOOHHH, you mean -40c^2 - 720c = R, this could be better.

R = -40c^2 - 720c
= -40(c^2 - 18c)

You pulled out a negative but you left the 2nd term negative as well.

Double check the equation you were given, because you miswrote it in the problem, and it could have a mistake when you first started solving it.

Now I am fairly confused as it really does not make sense to me. I double checked the equation and I was correct in my work that it is the following:

R = -40c^2 - 720c

After correcting my mistake (that was pointed out by nickjer) I now have the following:

R = -40c^2 - 720c
= -40(c^2 + 18c)
= -40(c^2 + 18c + 81 - 81) <-- complete the square
= -40[(c^2 + 9)^2 - 81]
= -40(c^2 + 9)^2 + 3240

Which would give a vertex of (-9, 3240) which makes no sense to me in the context of the question. I am really not sure where to go from here.

Imperil said:
Now I am fairly confused as it really does not make sense to me. I double checked the equation and I was correct in my work that it is the following:

R = -40c^2 - 720c

Surely, this equation should be R=-40c^2+720c instead!:wink:

I have triple checked and it is definitely -720c which is why I am confused.

Imperil said:
I have triple checked and it is definitely -720c which is why I am confused.

It must be a typo!

If the equation were -40c^2-720c , then if you charged $1.00 per ticket, you would have a revenue of -$760.00; but revenue is always a positive quantity.

I would assume that the equation is supposed to be -40c^2+720c and just ask your instructor about it when you see him/her.

I thought this exact same thing but figured maybe I was thinking about it wrong! Thanks for your help, I just contacted my teacher by email regarding this. It is a key problem in my correspondence that I need to hand in, so I am shocked they included this typo.

Related to Maximize Revenue for Quadratic Problem at Movie Theatre

1. What is a quadratic problem and how does it relate to maximizing revenue at a movie theatre?

A quadratic problem is a type of mathematical optimization problem where the objective function is a quadratic equation. In the context of a movie theatre, maximizing revenue means finding the optimal number of tickets to sell and at what price to maximize profits, which can be represented using a quadratic equation.

2. How do you determine the optimal number of tickets to sell and at what price?

This can be done by creating a revenue function, which is the product of the number of tickets sold and the price per ticket. By differentiating this function and setting it equal to zero, we can find the critical point where revenue is maximized. This critical point will give us the optimal number of tickets to sell and the corresponding price.

3. What factors should be considered when maximizing revenue at a movie theatre?

Some important factors to consider include the cost of producing the movie, the target audience, competition from other theatres, and the current demand for the movie. It's also important to consider the potential impact of different pricing strategies and promotions on revenue.

4. How can data analysis and forecasting be helpful in maximizing revenue at a movie theatre?

Data analysis and forecasting can provide insights into audience preferences and behaviors, which can inform decisions on ticket pricing, scheduling, and marketing strategies. It can also help predict future demand and adjust pricing accordingly to maximize revenue.

5. Are there any limitations to using a quadratic equation to maximize revenue at a movie theatre?

While a quadratic equation can provide a good estimate for maximizing revenue, it is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Factors such as external events, changing consumer behaviors, and unpredictable market trends may affect revenue and should also be taken into consideration.