Maximal subgroups of solvable groups have prime power index

In summary, the conversation discusses the verification of a solution to an exercise in a book. The statement being proved is that if H is a maximal proper subgroup of a finite solvable group G, then [G:H] is a prime power. The proof considers both abelian and nonabelian solvable groups, showing that the statement holds in both cases. The use of Lemma 7.13 and the Second Isomorphism Theorem are crucial in the proof. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert for reading their proof and providing a helpful tip.
Barre
I would like to ask if somebody can verify the solution I wrote up to an exercise in my book. It's kind of long, but I have no one else to check it for me :)

Homework Statement

If [itex]H[/itex] is a maximal proper subgroup of a finite solvable group [itex]G[/itex], then [itex][G:H][/itex] is a prime power.

Homework Equations

Lemma 7.13 that I refer to is basicly this:
http://crazyproject.wordpress.com/2...-finite-solvable-group-is-elementary-abelian/

The Attempt at a Solution

Statement is true for abelian groups, so only nonabelian solvable groups are considered in the proof. All finite nonabelian solvable groups have at least one normal group (the commutator) and therefore contain a minimal normal subgroup. By Lemma 7.13 (iii), these subgroups have prime power order.
Assume there exists minimal normal subgroup [itex]N[/itex] such that [itex]N \not\subseteq H[/itex]. Since [itex]NH[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] properly containing [itex]H[/itex], [itex]NH = G[/itex]. By Second Isomorphism Theorem, [itex]G/N = HN/N \cong H/(N \cap H)[/itex] and as all cardinalities are finite, [itex]\frac{|G|}{|N|} = \frac{|H|}{|N \cap H|}[/itex] which implies [itex]\frac{|G|}{|H|} = [G:H] = \frac{|N|}{|N \cap H|}[/itex], where the last one is a prime power.
Assume all minimal normal subgroups of [itex]G[/itex] are contained in [itex]H[/itex] and let [itex]N[/itex] be one such. We work by induction. If [itex]|G| = 2[/itex], then it is of prime order and the maximal proper subgroup [itex]\langle e \rangle[/itex] has index 2, certainly a prime power. In the quotient [itex]G/N[/itex], [itex]H/N[/itex] is maximal since if [itex]H/N[/itex] is properly contained in some subgroup [itex]T/N[/itex] then it follows that [itex]H \subseteq T[/itex], so [itex]T = G[/itex]. Since order [itex]|G/N|[/itex] is strictly less than [itex]|G|[/itex], [itex][G/N:H/N] = \frac{[G/N]}{[H/N]} = \frac{[G:N]}{[H:N]} = p^n[/itex] by induction. Also the identity [itex][G:H][H:N] = [G:N][/itex] implies [itex][G:H] = \frac{[G:N]}{[H:N]}[/itex] so [itex][G:H] = p^n[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems ok.

I also note that your proof also works in the abelian case, so there is no need to only look at nonabelian groups.

micromass said:
Seems ok.

I also note that your proof also works in the abelian case, so there is no need to only look at nonabelian groups.

Thanks for reading it and for the tip. An abelian group certainly has a normal minimal subgroup as long as it is not simple, and that is probably the case I could have handled separately.

Related to Maximal subgroups of solvable groups have prime power index

1. What is the definition of a maximal subgroup?

A maximal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is not properly contained in any other subgroup of that group.

2. What is a solvable group?

A solvable group is a group in which there exists a chain of subgroups such that each subgroup is normal in the next and the quotient groups are abelian.

3. How are maximal subgroups related to solvable groups?

In solvable groups, every maximal subgroup has a prime power index, meaning the index (number of elements) of the subgroup in the parent group is a power of a prime number.

4. Why do maximal subgroups of solvable groups have prime power index?

This is a theorem in group theory that has been proven to be true. It is a result of the structure and properties of solvable groups.

5. What are some applications of this theorem?

This theorem has applications in the study and classification of groups, as well as in other areas of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and number theory.