Max Distance from which a python detects infrared radiation

In summary, pythons have specialized organs called pit organs that allow them to detect infrared radiation. They can detect infrared radiation from a distance of a few meters and are highly sensitive to even small changes in infrared radiation. This ability is especially useful for hunting in the dark and can also help them sense potential predators and regulate their body temperature. Other animals such as snakes, fish, birds, and mammals also have the ability to detect infrared radiation.
Venerable R

Homework Statement

A python can detect thermal radiation with intensity greater than .60 W/m2. A typical human body has a surface area of 1.8 m2, a surface temperature of 30°C, and an emissivity e=0.97 at infrared wavelengths. What is the maximum distance from which a python can detect your presence? You can model the human body as a point source of radiation.

I = .60 W/m2
e = 0.97
T = 303 K
A = 1.8 m2
d = ? (m)

Homework Equations

[/B]
λ = (2.9*106 nm⋅K)/ Temp (in K)
I = P/(4πr2)
Q/Δt = eσAT4
σ = 5.67 * 10 -8 W/(m2⋅K4)

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = (2.9*106 nm⋅K)/ 303 K = 9571 nm

And if P = Watts, A = m2, and I = W/m2
Then, P = I*A → .60*1.8 = 1.08 W

.60 W/m2 = (0.97 * 1.08 W)/(4πr2)
r = .37 m

Honestly, I'm not sure what else to do. I don't think "P" is correct.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hello R, welcome to PF :)

I agree P probably isn't correct. Is it clear what the relevant equations you are listing stand for ?
I like the third one: Q/time (aka P !), according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law
You have all the ingredients to evaluate the human body emission ##P_{emit}##. It's rather a lot.
Your first equation tells you the peak wavelength of the intensity distribution spectrum is at over 9000 nm, so most of this P is in the infrared.
I suppose (but don't know for sure -- perhaps someone else can confirm or correct) that fraction is precisely the emissivity factor.

And that is the P you want to distribute over a sphere using your second equation. By the time r is so big that I < 0.6 W/m2 you've found the range.

BvU said:
Hello R, welcome to PF :)

I agree P probably isn't correct. Is it clear what the relevant equations you are listing stand for ?
I like the third one: Q/time (aka P !), according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law
You have all the ingredients to evaluate the human body emission ##P_{emit}##. It's rather a lot.
Your first equation tells you the peak wavelength of the intensity distribution spectrum is at over 9000 nm, so most of this P is in the infrared.
I suppose (but don't know for sure -- perhaps someone else can confirm or correct) that fraction is precisely the emissivity factor.

And that is the P you want to distribute over a sphere using your second equation. By the time r is so big that I < 0.6 W/m2 you've found the range.

Oh! So, using P = eσAT4, I found P = 834 W.
Then, I = P/(4πr2), I found that r = 10.5 m!

That's seems realistic! Thank you for all your help! :D

I hope it's the right answer...
Tried to check by working it out for a mouse (after all, a much more likely item on the snake menu) of, say, 25 gram, so 1/3500 times the weight and some (1/3500)2/3 the area. About 66 cm, so life isn't all that easy for a snake...

I also think I remember hearing that snakes only 'see' movement.

Oh, well, with physics you can't know everything (although some physicists seem to think otherwise ;) )

Related to Max Distance from which a python detects infrared radiation

1. What is the maximum distance from which a python can detect infrared radiation?

The maximum distance from which a python can detect infrared radiation depends on various factors such as the sensitivity of its infrared receptors, the intensity of the infrared source, and the environmental conditions. Generally, pythons can detect infrared radiation from a distance of a few meters.

2. How does a python detect infrared radiation?

Pythons have specialized organs called pit organs, which are located on their upper and lower jaws. These organs contain heat-sensitive receptors that can detect even small changes in infrared radiation. When an infrared source emits heat, the receptors in the pit organs send signals to the python's brain, allowing it to perceive the location and temperature of the source.

3. Can a python detect infrared radiation in complete darkness?

Yes, pythons can detect infrared radiation in complete darkness. Their pit organs are highly sensitive and can detect even small amounts of infrared radiation, making them highly effective at hunting in the dark. This ability is especially useful for pythons that live in dimly lit environments, such as dense forests or caves.

4. Are there any other animals that can detect infrared radiation?

Yes, there are several other animals that can detect infrared radiation, including other snakes, such as vipers and boas, as well as some species of fish, birds, and mammals. This ability is particularly common among animals that hunt at night or in low light conditions.

5. How is the ability to detect infrared radiation beneficial for pythons?

The ability to detect infrared radiation is highly beneficial for pythons in various ways. It helps them to locate prey, even in the dark, and to accurately strike and capture their target. It also allows them to sense the body heat of potential predators, helping them to avoid danger and stay safe. Additionally, pythons can use their infrared detection abilities to regulate their body temperature and maintain their thermoregulation.

Back