Matrix rings acting on right R-modules - Dauns - Exercises 1-5 no 2

In summary: Nb = \begin{pmatrix}0&2\\2&1 \end{pmatrix} \in...NThen:a^\ast \in Mb^\ast \in NBut this cannot be because:c = \begin{pmatrix}0&0\\0&1 \end{pmatrix} \in...Nd = \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\1&0 \end{pmatrix} \in...Ne = \begin{pmatrix}0&2\\2&1 \end{pmatrix} \in...Nf
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Exercise 2 of Exercises 1-5 of John Dauns' book "Modules and Rings" we are given

[TEX] R = \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Z}_4 & \mathbb{Z}_4 \\ \mathbb{Z}_4 & \mathbb{Z}_4 \end{pmatrix} [/TEX] and [TEX]M = \overline{2} \mathbb{Z}_4 \times \overline{2} \mathbb{Z}_4 [/TEX]

where the matrix ring R acts on a right R-module whose elements are row vectors.

Find all submodules of M

Helped by Evgeny's post (See Math Help Boards) I commenced this problem as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical elements of R are [TEX] R = \begin{pmatrix} r_1 & r_2 \\r_3 & r_4 \end{pmatrix} [/TEX]

where [TEX] r_1, r_2, r_3, r_4 \in \mathbb{Z}_4 = \{ \overline{0}, \overline{1}, \overline{2}, \overline{3} \} [/TEX]

Typical elements of M are (x,y) where [TEX] x, y \in \overline{2} Z_4 [/TEX]

Now the elements of [TEX] \overline{2} Z_4 = \overline{2} \times \{ \overline{0}, \overline{1}, \overline{2}, \overline{3} \} = \{ \overline{0}, \overline{2}, \overline{4}, \overline{6} \} = \{ \overline{0}, \overline{2}, \overline{0}, \overline{2} \} = \{ \overline{0}, \overline{2} \} [/TEX]

Now to find submodules! (Approach is by trial and error - but surely there is a better way!)

Consider a set of the form [TEX] N_1 = \{ (x, 0) | \in \overline{2} |mathbb{Z}_4 [/TEX] - that is [TEX] x \in \{ 0, 2 \} [/TEX]

Let [TEX] r \in R [/TEX] and then test the action of R on M i.e. [TEX] N_1 \times R \rightarrow N_1 [/TEX] - that is test if [TEX] n_1r |in N_1 [/TEX]

Now [TEX] (x, 0) \begin{pmatrix} r_1 & r_2 \\r_3 & r_4 \end{pmatrix} = (r_1x, r_2x ) [/TEX]

But now a problem I hope someone can help with!

How do we (rigorously) evaluate [TEX] r_1x [/TEX] and [TEX] r_2x [/TEX] and hence check whether [TEX] (r_1x, r_2x) [/TEX] is of the form (x, 0) [certainly does not look like it but formally and rigorously ...?]

An example of my thinking here

If [TEX] r_1 = \overline{3} [/TEX] and [TEX] x = \overline{2} [/TEX] then (roughly speaking!) [TEX] r_1 x = \overline{3} \overline{2} = \overline{6} = \overline{2}[/TEX]

In the above I am assuming that in [TEX] \overline{2} \mathbb{Z}_4 [/TEX] that that [TEX] \overline{0}, \overline{4}, \overline{8}, ... = \overline{0} [/TEX]

and that

that [TEX] \overline{2}, \overline{6}, \overline{10}, ... = \overline{2} [/TEX]

but I am not sure what I am doing here!

Can someone please clarify this situation?

Further, can someone please comment on my overall approach to the Exercise - I am not at all sure regarding how to check for submodules and certainly lack a systematic approach ...

Be grateful for some help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are all algebraists on this forum? Yes, algebra and logic (my specialty), somehow along with number theory, constitute a single "specialty" for the purpose of a Ph.D. thesis in Russia, but this is a relict from a former era.

Peter said:
Consider a set of the form [TEX] N_1 = \{ (x, 0)\mid x \in \overline{2} \mathbb{Z}_4\} [/TEX] - that is [TEX] x \in \{ 0, 2 \} [/TEX]

Let [TEX] r \in R [/TEX] and then test the action of R on M i.e. [TEX] N_1 \times R \rightarrow N_1 [/TEX] - that is test if [TEX] n_1r |in N_1 [/TEX]

Now [TEX] (x, 0) \begin{pmatrix} r_1 & r_2 \\r_3 & r_4 \end{pmatrix} = (r_1x, r_2x ) [/TEX]

Peter said:
If [TEX] r_1 = \overline{3} [/TEX] and [TEX] x = \overline{2} [/TEX] then (roughly speaking!) [TEX] r_1 x = \overline{3} \overline{2} = \overline{6} = \overline{2}[/TEX]
I agree with your approach. If $r_2=3$ and $x=2$, then the second component of the resulting pair is $r_2x=2$. But we assumed that the submodule was $\{(0,0),(2,0)\}$. Therefore, it is not a submodule. Similarly, $\{(0,0),(0,2)\}$ is not a submodule, either. The only submodules I see are the trivial one and $M$ itself.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Where are all algebraists on this forum? Yes, algebra and logic (my specialty), somehow along with number theory, constitute a single "specialty" for the purpose of a Ph.D. thesis in Russia, but this is a relict from a former era.
I agree with your approach. If $r_2=3$ and $x=2$, then the second component of the resulting pair is $r_2x=2$. But we assumed that the submodule was $\{(0,0),(2,0)\}$. Therefore, it is not a submodule. Similarly, $\{(0,0),(0,2)\}$ is not a submodule, either. The only submodules I see are the trivial one and $M$ itself.
Thanks Evgeny, really appreciate your help.Peter

The first thing that pops out at me is that \(\displaystyle M\) is finite, it only has 4 elements:

(0,0), (0,2), (2,0) and (2,2).

Such a finite set has only 16 possible subsets, and we can eliminate 8 of these straight-away because they do not include the additive identity (0,0).

Now, suppose we have a submodule \(\displaystyle N\) containing (0,2). Taking:

\(\displaystyle a = \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\1&0 \end{pmatrix} \in R\),

we find that \(\displaystyle (0,2)a = (2,0) \in N\) and thus:

\(\displaystyle (2,2) = (0,2) + (2,0) \in N\), hence \(\displaystyle N = M\).

Similar reasoning shows that if a submodule contains (2,0) it likewise is all of \(\displaystyle M\).

Finally, if a submodule contains (2,2), then taking:

\(\displaystyle a' = \begin{pmatrix}0&0\\0&1 \end{pmatrix} \in R\),

we find (0,2) is in this submodule and thus (by above) it is all of \(\displaystyle M\) as well.

So there are NO submodules (which are, after all, subsets) of cardinality 2, and also (by Lagrange, since submodules must also be abelian subgroups), there can be no submodules of cardinality 3.

This leaves just the trivial submodule, and all of \(\displaystyle M\), and nothing remains to be shown, as these are trivially submodules.

Deveno said:
The first thing that pops out at me is that \(\displaystyle M\) is finite, it only has 4 elements:

(0,0), (0,2), (2,0) and (2,2).

Such a finite set has only 16 possible subsets, and we can eliminate 8 of these straight-away because they do not include the additive identity (0,0).

Now, suppose we have a submodule \(\displaystyle N\) containing (0,2). Taking:

\(\displaystyle a = \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\1&0 \end{pmatrix} \in R\),

we find that \(\displaystyle (0,2)a = (2,0) \in N\) and thus:

\(\displaystyle (2,2) = (0,2) + (2,0) \in N\), hence \(\displaystyle N = M\).

Similar reasoning shows that if a submodule contains (2,0) it likewise is all of \(\displaystyle M\).

Finally, if a submodule contains (2,2), then taking:

\(\displaystyle a' = \begin{pmatrix}0&0\\0&1 \end{pmatrix} \in R\),

we find (0,2) is in this submodule and thus (by above) it is all of \(\displaystyle M\) as well.

So there are NO submodules (which are, after all, subsets) of cardinality 2, and also (by Lagrange, since submodules must also be abelian subgroups), there can be no submodules of cardinality 3.

This leaves just the trivial submodule, and all of \(\displaystyle M\), and nothing remains to be shown, as these are trivially submodules.

Thanks Deveno ... most helpful ...

Peter

Related to Matrix rings acting on right R-modules - Dauns - Exercises 1-5 no 2

1. What is a matrix ring?

A matrix ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of square matrices with certain operations defined on them, such as addition and multiplication. It is denoted by Matn(R), where n is the size of the matrices and R is a commutative ring.

2. What is a right R-module?

A right R-module is a mathematical structure that generalizes the concept of a vector space over a field. It consists of a set of elements that can be multiplied by elements of a commutative ring R, with certain properties, such as distributivity and associativity, satisfied.

3. What does it mean for a matrix ring to act on a right R-module?

For a matrix ring Matn(R) to act on a right R-module M, it means that each element of the matrix ring can be used as a linear transformation on the elements of the R-module M. This action is defined by multiplying the matrix with the elements of the R-module.

4. What are Dauns' exercises 1-5?

Dauns' exercises 1-5 refer to a set of exercises that were proposed by the mathematician Carl Faith Dauns in his book "Lectures on Modules and Rings". These exercises involve the concept of matrix rings acting on right R-modules and help to deepen understanding of this topic.

5. What is the purpose of exercise 2 in Dauns' exercises 1-5?

The purpose of exercise 2 in Dauns' exercises 1-5 is to practice using the concept of matrix rings acting on right R-modules to prove certain properties, such as distributivity and associativity, and to gain a deeper understanding of these actions and their applications.