Maths required for rotation point

In summary, the conversation was about learning about the forces and mathematics involved in a system where an object can rotate around a fixed point. The person was looking for resources to study and understand these concepts for personal interest. The expert suggested comparing equations of linear and rotational motion and provided a website as a reference. They also explained the steps to calculate the force required to rotate a non-uniform object around a fixed point.
karen_lorr
Hi

The first thing to say about this is that I don’t have a clue where to start.

What I’m looking for is somewhere (maybe a website or just a brief introduction) I can study – and learn – about the forces involved and the maths required.

_______

Say I have an item/length/beam/weight/etc (C in the graphic) that can rotate about a point (B in the graphic) which is supported on an unmovable base (A in the graphic).

C can be heaver, taller, have more mass, etc, etc (it can change) although it’s rotation point never changes

What I’m looking for is a way to work out how the properties of C will affect the force required to rotate it around point B.

This is not a homework question (I left school over 40 years ago), it’s just for my own personal interest and education.

Thank you

Here is the graphic (on Microsoft Onedrive). I have put this link as well in case you can't see it.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlXOOGaTv36QgQ4hlbbk4IQpmTEX
s!AlXOOGaTv36QgQ4hlbbk4IQpmTEX

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I think you should start comparing the equations of linear motion with the respective of rotational motion. You can study some basic equations in this website: https://www.4physics.com/phy_demo/Newton/Newton_rot.htm.

Let's consider this system to be horizontal and the air resistance to be negligible. There is no force exerted on this system initially (no gravity-horizontal system). In this case, the moment of inertia (I) changes when we change the geometry of c. For example if c is a uniform cylinder with radius R and length l and is rotating around b, then: I=(MR^2/4)+(Ml^2/3) where M is the mass of c.

So you must follow these steps:
1) Decide the rotational acceleration (a=dω/dt) with which you want c to start rotating.
2) Calculate the moment of inertia (I) based on the geometrical characteristics of your system.
3) From the equation Στ=Fr=Ia, you can calculate the Force that needs to be exerted on a specific point of the object c.

Have in mind that τ=Fr, where F is the force exerted on the cylinder and r the distance of the point (in which F is exerted) from b.

The difficult step is to calculate the moment of inertia for non-uniform objects, because you need to use the integral of (r^2 dm).

Related to Maths required for rotation point

What is "Maths required for rotation point"?

"Maths required for rotation point" refers to the mathematical concepts and principles needed to understand and manipulate objects in a rotational motion, such as finding the center of rotation and calculating angles and distances.

Why is understanding rotation point important?

Understanding rotation point is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects that rotate, and is essential in designing and analyzing structures and mechanisms that involve rotation.

What are the basic mathematical concepts involved in understanding rotation point?

The basic mathematical concepts involved in understanding rotation point include geometry, trigonometry, vectors, and coordinate systems. These concepts are used to determine the position, direction, and magnitude of rotation of objects.

How do I find the center of rotation for an object?

To find the center of rotation for an object, you can use the concept of symmetry or the principle of perpendicular bisectors. You can also use mathematical equations involving coordinates and distances to determine the exact center point.

What are some real-world applications of understanding rotation point?

Understanding rotation point has many real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing rotating machinery and equipment, creating accurate computer-generated graphics and animations, and predicting the motion of celestial bodies in space.