Mathematics of Normalization in Physics

In summary, the conversation is about finding an explanation or example of the mathematics involved in normalizing quantum mechanics to agree with classical equations. The person has tried searching in Wikipedia and using various keywords, but has not found any relevant information. Another person suggests looking at the "correspondence principle" and recommends a textbook on quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with a thank you for the suggestion of using the "correspondence principle" as a keyword.
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
Having read many times about normalizing quantum mechanics to agree with classical equations, can you please give an explanation or an example of the mathematics involved?
I have looked in Wikipedia, but was unable to find anything. Maybe I am using the wrong keywords. Is there an article or an introductory-level book on showing that quantum mechanics agrees with classical physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you searched "correspondence principle"?

KurtLudwig said:
I have looked in Wikipedia, but was unable to find anything.

Have you looked at a QM textbook? Most of them discuss this.

Likes bhobba
I have just bought "The Ideas of Particle Physics - An Introduction for Scientists".

Thanks for giving me the keywords "correspondence principle" to find information on Wikipedia.

Related to Mathematics of Normalization in Physics

1. What exactly is normalization in physics?

Normalization in physics is a mathematical technique used to standardize data or values in order to make them more comparable. It involves transforming data into a common scale or range, often between 0 and 1, to remove any bias or differences in units of measurement.

2. Why is normalization important in physics?

Normalization is important in physics because it allows for fair comparisons and analysis of data. It eliminates the influence of different scales and units, making it easier to identify patterns and relationships within the data. Normalization also helps to reduce the impact of outliers and data with large variances.

3. What are the different methods of normalization used in physics?

There are several methods of normalization used in physics, including min-max normalization, z-score normalization, and decimal scaling. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the specific needs of the data and analysis.

4. Is normalization only used in physics?

No, normalization is a widely used technique in various fields such as statistics, data science, and machine learning. It is used whenever data needs to be standardized to eliminate differences in scales and units.

5. Can normalization be applied to any type of data in physics?

Yes, normalization can be applied to any type of data in physics, as long as it is numerical. This includes data from experiments, simulations, and theoretical calculations. However, it is important to consider the specific characteristics of the data and choose the appropriate method of normalization.