Mathematical uses of the preposition of

In summary, the conversation is about the uses of the preposition "of" in mathematics. The discussion includes its ordinary meaning of indicating membership, as well as its use to indicate multiplication or a fractional part of something. The topic is suggested to be modified to focus on the reasons behind the specific uses of "of" in mathematics, and the potential insights it can provide into the nature of the discipline. Several references on the topic are provided, but they offer different perspectives. The main focus remains on finding articles or resources that specifically address the question of the uses of "of" in mathematics.
SkyWatcher
Mathematical uses of the preposition "of"

Dear Professors,

I am looking for any articles on the uses of the preposition "of" in mathematics. I once read in a teacher's edition of a pre-algebra textbook that suggested students should be taught, as early as possible, the many uses of the preposition "of" in mathematics, but I have been unable to find anything on this particular question/topic. Could anyone please try to help me find something? Or better still could anyone give me an outline of these uses?

Yours respectfully, Rob

Science news on Phys.org

I'm not sure 'the uses of the preposition "of" in mathematics' is worthy of an entire article, but who knows?

Aside from the ordinary meaning to indicate membership, the only sense of "of" I can think of that might be interesting here is when it means "multiplied by," when we're talking about a fractional part of something; e.g., "1/2 of 12."

"Of" is a preposition and its meaning depends on the conventions for the human language which applies it. In English, "of" will often mean "multiplication", but the reader or writer needs to understand the worded description of the exercise or problem description to be able to properly understand what "of" means. Nine eggs of a packaged dozen, would mean possibly, 9 divided by 12, therefore, meaning three fourths, or 75% or nine twelfths. Seventy five percent of twelve would mean (3/4) multiplied by 12, and therefore mean 9.

To whom it may concern,

May I suggest the topic of this thread be modified to better convey my intent:

Uses of "of" applied most often in math and why?

In my humble opinion, the answer to why mathematicians apply certain uses of "of" more often
can give us a much deeper understanding into the nature of the art.

May I suggest the topic of this thread be modified to better convey my intent:

Uses of "of" applied most often in math and why?

In my humble opinion, the answer to why mathematicians apply certain uses of "of" more often
can give us a much deeper understanding into the nature of the art.

#1) the cause, effect, origin, reason, result of;

#2) the correlative, counterpart, match, opposite, original of;

#3) a copy, derivative, image, likeness of;

#4) the square, cube, logarithm, tangent, differential, or other mathematical function of.

Please note: I am NOT saying that the preposition "of" has a "unique-mathematical-meaning" when used by mathematicians. What I am intending to convey is that of all the general usages that can be found at dictionary.com for "of", mathematicians CHOOSE to use a limited subset of them i.e. examining the usages of "of" applied most often in math and asking WHY did they choose this specific subset? Is, in my opinion, a question worth trying to answer because it will provide us with a valuable insight into the nature of the art.

If on the other hand you find it useless that I am trying to explain to others the beauty of mathematics through its choice of vocabulary and why that choice was made as demonstrated by any future comments about counting occurrences of "of" in mathematical writing, being unduly obsessed, or even categorizing what I am trying to do as the subject of a "crank."

May I describe mathematics as the art of creating images and establishing relationships, is it not so that the "material" of this activity are thoughts? And since words convey those thoughts we must "measure" our choice of words carefully for the sake of lucidity.

The sheer number of occurrences of "of" in academic writing and in mathematical writing in particular, justifies, in my opinion, at least an honest attempt at "looking for any articles on the uses of the preposition "of"...I have been unable to find anything on this particular question/topic. Could you please help me find something?"

PLEASE NOTE THE BOTTOM LINE OF THIS THREAD IS A REFERENCE-REQUEST

Yours respectfully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Related to Mathematical uses of the preposition of

1. How is the preposition "of" used in mathematical expressions?

In mathematical expressions, the preposition "of" is used to indicate a relationship between two quantities or values. It is often used to show multiplication or division, such as "3 times the value of x" or "y divided by the square root of z".

2. Can the preposition "of" be used to show ownership in mathematics?

Yes, the preposition "of" can also be used to show ownership in mathematical expressions. For example, "the area of the rectangle" or "the slope of the line". This usage is similar to how "of" is used in everyday language.

3. How is the preposition "of" used in units of measurement?

In units of measurement, the preposition "of" is used to indicate a ratio or conversion. For example, "1 kilometer is equal to 1000 meters" or "1 pound is approximately 0.45 kilograms". This usage is common when converting between different units of measurement.

4. Can the preposition "of" be used in algebraic expressions?

Yes, the preposition "of" can be used in algebraic expressions to indicate a function or operation. For instance, "f(x) = 2x" can be read as "f of x equals 2 times x". It is also used in the notation for composite functions, such as "g o f" (read as "g of f").

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the preposition "of" in mathematics?

One common mistake is confusing "of" with "times" in multiplication expressions. For example, "2 of 3" should be written as "2 times 3" instead. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to the order of terms when using "of" in algebraic expressions to ensure the correct relationship is being expressed.