Math books: group theory and topology

In summary, a math major recommends Pinter's "A Book of Abstract Algebra" and Jacobson's "Basic Algebra I" for algebra topics such as groups, modules, and rings, while also suggesting Munkres and Mendelson for topology. Dummit and Foote's "Abstract Algebra" and Simmons' "An Introduction to Topology and Analysis" are also mentioned as potential books for non-pure math students. Additionally, Artin's "Algebra" and Munkres' "Topology" are recommended for a deeper understanding of these topics at an upper division undergraduate level. A link is provided to a forum post that includes a comprehensive list of recommended texts for theoretical physicists.
elivil
Just want to ask for recommendations for good math books on

1) groups, modules, rings - all the basic algebra stuff but for a physicist

2) topological spaces, compactness, ...

I need books for a theoretical physicist to read up on these topics so that I could study, say, algebraic topology next. Now the books needn't be too basic but being a physicist I'm not a big fan of all the finite groups, pure math stuff, so the fewer examples with tiling and such the better.

Can anyone help? Math majors are more than welcome to comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a math major, I'd personally recommend the combination of Pinter's "A Book of Abstract Algebra" and Jacobson's "Basic Algebra I" for your algebra needs. Pinter is gentle and builds up motivation nicely (and is an overall pleasant read) while Jacobson develops the subject more rigorously and, in my opinion, more in-depth. In short, read Pinter for an overview and Jacobson for a thorough understanding. As a bonus, both are generally available for under $20.

As for Topology, I've had a decent time with Patty's "Foundations of Topology" alongside Kasriel's "Undergraduate Topology," but I think the standard recommendations are Munkres and Mendelson (which I also like, admittedly). I can't provide much help on the algebraic topology front, unfortunately.

I've also heard that the Pinter book is a good algebra book for non-pure math people. Dummit and Foote might also be good too.. I think. As for topology, I think "An Introduction to topology and analysis" by Simmons is really good. It's written for math students, but the exposition is very clear and conversational, it should be good for anyone

There actually is a book by Schwarz called "Topology for Physicists," but I have no idea how good it is.

I like Artin's Algebra very much for thorough coverage of the topics you mention at an upper division undergraduate level. Munkres Topology is at the same level for topology and includes a good introduction to algebraic topology.

In the post link below, I try to pull out the minimal set of math and physics ideas, backed up by the actual history, that underlie the knowledge needed to navigate from junior level math/physics through graduate school and beyond, including the current methods in theoretical physics.

[Included are texts/references on algebra, topology, geometory and topology for the theoretical physicist in an uploaded Word document].

I list and review a core set of the best, clearest books and literature to this end, often including what you should get from each book/article. I probably would have saved about a decade, and lots of money had I had a "syllabus" like this.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=553988

Thanks,

A. Alaniz

Related to Math books: group theory and topology

1. What is group theory and how is it related to math books?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. It is related to math books because many books on abstract algebra and other mathematical topics incorporate group theory as a foundational concept.

2. What is topology and why is it important in math books?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of space that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting. It is important in math books because it is a fundamental concept in many areas of mathematics, including geometry, analysis, and algebraic topology.

3. Are there any real-world applications of group theory and topology?

Yes, group theory and topology have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and computer science. For example, group theory is used in the study of molecular symmetry, while topology is used in data analysis and computer graphics.

4. What are some popular books on group theory and topology?

Some popular books on group theory and topology include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "Topology" by James Munkres, and "Algebraic Topology" by Allen Hatcher. These books are widely used in undergraduate and graduate courses on the subject.

5. Do I need a strong background in math to understand books on group theory and topology?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and analysis, is necessary to understand books on group theory and topology. These subjects involve complex mathematical concepts and theories that require a solid understanding of basic mathematical principles.