Masters degree for Physics teaching

In summary, the person is an undergraduate interested in teaching high school physics in the US, and is seeking advice about pursuing a master's degree. They are considering either a master's in education or in physics, with the former including student teaching and the latter requiring extra student teaching after graduation. The person is also aware of conflicting opinions on the correlation between a master's degree and teaching performance, and is seeking more information and opinions from current teachers. The conversation also touches on the requirements for teaching in different states and the potential impact of budget constraints on hiring decisions. Ultimately, the person is leaning towards studying physics, but is open to considering a master's in education if it would be more practical for their future career.
DrewD
I am an undergrad who wants to teach high school physics in the US (most likely public school). I am seeking some advice about a masters degree. I could either pursue a masters degree in education or in physics. The M.ed would probably include student teaching. The M.sc would probably require some extra student teaching separately after graduation.

Everyone that I talk to seems to feel that one or the other is the ONLY option! and that I am crazy to consider anything else. I have heard of studies that claim that masters degrees are not correlated to teaching performance. I have also heard that IF there is a correlation, it is stronger for teachers with degrees in the field they are teaching. I have this info from NPR and NYTimes, but I do not know the specific when/where/who for the actual studies.

I have about a year to decide. My personal desire would lean me towards more study of physics since I think that I will learn the most about teaching from actually doing it rather than abstractly studying it. However, that may be influence by the fact that I just enjoy studying physics.

If anyone knows about any studies that point one way or the other (or more likely point nowhere) I would like to hear about it. I would also like opinions from people who are teaching.

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
all you need is a bs to teach hs physics

Woopy said:
all you need is a bs to teach hs physics

Not exactly true.

It depends on where you want to work. I'm not sure how other states do this, but at least in California, you have to have a credential, which is basically 2 years of classes, which waste your time, and student teaching, which make you hate the idea of teaching kids. Your MS in physics will not help you be a better teacher, although from what I've heard and seen, a M.Ed won't either. I also was under the impression that M.Eds were for people looking more into administrative positions such as Principals and what-not.

My high school physics teacher has been teaching atleast 7-8 years and has a BS in physics, and only began working on his M.Ed in the past 2-3...

I know because I just visited him 2 weeks ago :)

From a practical standpoint, it would be better to get the M.Ed. rather than the M.S. in physics. This is because school districts are very tight on budget right now, and they would rather higher someone at the entry level and pay them less than hire someone further up the ladder and pay them more. However, since there is a shortage of physics teachers in many districts, this may not be an issue. It is something to consider, though.

Here in MA at least, you are not required to have a masters, but everyone does. You have less job security and a lower pay. I think the situation here is similar to CA. Lots of jumping through hoops that, more often than not, encourages the good teachers to go to private schools instead.
While a Masters is not actually a requirement, many school systems will only hire you with the guarantee that you will have a masters within 3-4 years, but it does depend on the school system. If I choose M.ed, I can wait, but if I go M.sc, I won't be accepted if I don't apply right out of undergrad.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited:

Related to Masters degree for Physics teaching

What is a Masters degree for Physics teaching?

A Masters degree for Physics teaching is a graduate-level program that focuses on developing advanced knowledge and skills in physics, as well as teaching methods and strategies for effectively teaching physics at the secondary or post-secondary level.

What are the requirements for obtaining a Masters degree for Physics teaching?

The specific requirements for a Masters degree in Physics teaching may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong academic performance, and letters of recommendation. Many programs also require applicants to have some teaching experience.

What can I do with a Masters degree in Physics teaching?

A Masters degree in Physics teaching can prepare you for a career as a high school or college physics teacher, curriculum developer, educational consultant, or science education researcher. It can also open up opportunities for advancement in teaching positions and increase your earning potential.

How long does it take to complete a Masters degree in Physics teaching?

The length of a Masters degree program for Physics teaching can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years to complete. Some programs may offer part-time or online options that can take longer to finish.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Masters degree in Physics teaching?

A Masters degree in Physics teaching will provide you with advanced knowledge in physics concepts and theories, as well as skills in lesson planning, instructional design, assessment, and classroom management. You will also gain a deeper understanding of educational theories and practices, and how to effectively teach physics to diverse student populations.