Mastering Rational Expressions: Simple Tips and Tricks for Advanced Math Classes

In summary, Right now in math class we are learning rational expressions. Since I am in an advanced math class, it seems like we learn a new lesson everyday. So if you don't understand something, you pretty much need to teach yourself. I don't really understand rational expressions, so can someone tell me if I am doing these two problems right.
mlbmaniaco
Right now in math class we are learning rational expressions. Since I am in an advanced math class, it seems like we learn a new lesson everyday. So if you don't understand something, you pretty much need to teach yourself. I don't really understand rational expressions, so can someone tell me if I am doing these two problems right(If I am doing wrong please tell me how to do them.)

Problem: x/3 = 4/x+4

Answer: 1) First I found a common denominator.
3x+12(x/3) = 3x+12(4/x+4)
2) So I got x+4 = x+3
3) Then the answer would be x=-4, x=-3

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Watch out with the brackets, I suppose you mean

[tex]\frac{x}{3} = \frac{4}{{x + 4}}[/tex]

Now, multiply both sides with a common denominator to get rid of the denominators, so with for example [itex]3\left( {x + 4} \right)[/itex]

First off, you need to learn to use parentheses correctly. Whenever an addition or subtraction is supposed to happen before a multiplication or division, you need parentheses.

For example:

[tex]4/x+4 = \frac{4}{x} + 4[/tex]

but

[tex]4/(x+4) = \frac{4}{x+4}[/tex]

(3) is totally wrong -- if x+3 = x+4, then x=-4 and x=-3 are certainly not solutions.

But... (2) is also totally wrong. You skipped a bunch of steps, so I don't know what you're doing wrong. Multiplication by 3x+12 was a reasonable idea, though. Could you post your work?

See, I don't know my work. I have no idea what I am doing. This is as far as I got with the book. I am supposed to simplify and check

Well, try what I said. By multiplying both sides with 3, you lose the left denominator. Then, multiply both sides with x+4, this will get rid off the right denominator :smile:

Another Question

so would i then have 3(3) = x2 = 4 ?

Never Mind, I think I'll just give up. It is way to hard for me to understand

I'll show you that first step. We multiply both sides with 3.
At the LHS, the 3 will cancel out with the denominator, as we wanted.
At the RHS, you can simplify it by multiplying it when the nominator.

[tex]\frac{x}{3} = \frac{4}{{x + 4}} \Leftrightarrow 3 \cdot \frac{x}{3} = 3 \cdot \frac{4}{{x + 4}} \Leftrightarrow x = \frac{{12}}{{x + 4}}[/tex]

Now, try losing the right denominator by multiplying both sides with (x+4) in the same way :smile:

So would I do this?

x+4 * x = 12/ x+4 * x+4

Then I would get . . .

x(x+4) = 12(x+4)

Right?

If so, what do I do next?

wait I made a mistake . . .

It would be x(x=4) = 12
Right...

I mean x(x+4) = 12

Right

Yes:

x/3 = 4/(x+4)

implies

x(x+4) = 12

mlbmaniaco said:
I mean x(x+4) = 12

Right
Correct! :smile:

Now bring everything to 1 side and you have a quadratic equation.
Solve with the quadratic formula or by factoring.

We are supposed to solve by factoring, so how do I do that?

So we have

[tex]x\left( {x + 4} \right) = 12 \Leftrightarrow x^2 + 4x - 12 = 0[/tex]

Personally, I would factor just by finding zeroes :smile:
The divisors of the constant (-12) are 'possible candidates'...

Related to Mastering Rational Expressions: Simple Tips and Tricks for Advanced Math Classes

1. What are rational expressions?

Rational expressions are expressions that involve fractions with variables in the numerator and/or denominator. They can also include whole numbers and exponents.

2. Why is mastering rational expressions important?

Rational expressions are commonly used in advanced math classes, such as algebra and calculus. They are also used in real-world applications, making it important for scientists to understand and manipulate them for problem-solving purposes.

3. What are some common tips for simplifying rational expressions?

Some common tips for simplifying rational expressions include factoring, canceling out common factors, and reducing the expression to lowest terms. It is also important to remember to follow the order of operations when simplifying.

4. How can I solve equations involving rational expressions?

To solve equations involving rational expressions, first simplify the expressions on both sides of the equation. Then, cross multiply to get rid of the fractions. Finally, solve the resulting equation for the variable.

5. Are there any tricks for remembering the rules of rational expressions?

One trick for remembering the rules of rational expressions is to practice regularly and become familiar with common patterns and techniques. It can also be helpful to create a cheat sheet or use mnemonic devices to remember the steps for simplifying and solving equations involving rational expressions.