Mastering Physics - Force on muscles

In summary, the high rate of Achilles tendon injuries in gymnasts is due to tensions in the tendon reaching 9.0 times body weight, provided by a pair of muscles exerting a force at 29∘ to the vertical with opposite horizontal components. For a 54-kg gymnast, the task is to find the force in each of these muscles, which can be solved using a vector sum problem and a free body diagram. The desired forces are mentioned and asked for in the problem.
oh-jcb

Homework Statement

Studies of gymnasts show that their high rate of injuries to the Achilles tendon is due to tensions in the tendon that typically reach 9.0 times body weight. That force is provided by a pair of muscles, each exerting a force at 29∘ to the vertical, with their horizontal components opposite.

For a 54-kg gymnast, find the force in each of these muscles.

Homework Equations

I imagine it has something to do with a free body diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what forces I should include, if I should break up force into x and y components.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine it has something to do with a free body diagram.
Good imagination there - that would help. However, this is just a vector sum problem. You have two forces that have to add up to a third force.
The geometry has been described - the exercize is to translate the wordy description into a picture of a triangle.

I don't know what forces I should include, if I should break up force into x and y components.
... what forces are mentioned? What forces are asked for?

Related to Mastering Physics - Force on muscles

1. What is the definition of force on muscles?

The force on muscles is the amount of external pressure or resistance applied to a muscle that causes it to contract and perform work. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) in the metric system.

2. How is the force on muscles calculated?

The force on muscles can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object being moved, and a is the acceleration of the object. In the case of muscles, the mass would refer to the weight of the object being lifted or moved.

3. What factors affect the force on muscles?

The force on muscles can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being moved, the angle at which the muscle is working, the length of the muscle, and the speed at which the muscle is contracting.

4. How can the force on muscles be increased?

The force on muscles can be increased through various methods, such as strength training and resistance exercises. These activities help to build muscle mass and increase the strength and endurance of muscles, allowing them to handle greater amounts of force.

5. How does the force on muscles impact physical performance?

The force on muscles plays a critical role in physical performance, as it is directly related to the amount of work a muscle can produce. The greater the force on muscles, the more work they can do, resulting in improved physical performance and athletic abilities.