Mass of Planet Using Radius and Doppler Effect

In summary, the mass of the distant planet can be calculated by observing the spacecraft's radio signal varying periodically in wavelength between 2.99964 m and 3.00036 m while in a circular orbit of radius 128,000 km. Using the equation M= \frac{rv^2}{G}, with G= 6.67\times10^{-11} \space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}, and converting all units to meters, the mass of the planet is approximately 2.48\times10^{18} kg. However, the incorrect conversion of units in the calculation may have resulted in an inaccurate answer and further investigation is needed.
Linuxkid

Homework Statement

Imagine you are observing a spacecraft moving in a circular orbit of radius 128,000 km around a distant planet. You happen to be located in the plane of the spacecraft 's orbit. You find that the spacecraft 's radio signal varies periodically in wavelength between 2.99964 m and 3.00036 m. Assuming that the radio is broadcasting normally, at a constant wavelength, what is the mass of the planet?

Homework Equations

[tex] M= \displaystyle{\frac{rv^2}{G}}; \space

where \space G= 6.67\times10^{-11} \space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2},

\space r \space is \space km, \space and \space v \ is \space
km/s
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, as we have a change in wavelength 2.99964 m and 3.00036 m respectively, the original signal should equal 3.00000m. With the formula from my textbook ( "Astronomy" 6th edition by Chaisson and McMillan, page 63), [tex] \frac{apparent\space \lambda}{true \space \lambda} -1 = speed \space in \space c[/tex] Then I multiply it by c and convert meters to kilometers and get[tex] \approx 36 km/s. [/tex]

I input r and G as [tex] G= 6.67\times10^{-11} \space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}, \space r= 128, 000 km. [/tex]

So: [tex] M= \displaystyle{\frac{(128000km)*(36 km/s)^2}{6.67\times 10^{-11}\space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}}} = 2.48\times10^{18} kg. [/tex]

When I input this answer into the website in which we do our homework by, it gives me a lousy red X. I'm sure I messed up, because I was expecting a planet approximately in the 10^20-28 kg range.

Regardless, I've been stuck on this for a bit. Help is much appreciated.

Nikos

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units, I think you are not converting km to m.

possibly you are using different values for your constants, or you have rounded off differently?
[edit]ah - your value for G has length in meters.

Hey there,

Aha! I missed that my constant was in meters.

Honest mistake. Thanks a lot.

, your approach to solving this problem is correct. However, there are a few things to consider in order to arrive at the correct answer.

Firstly, the equation you have used to calculate the mass of the planet assumes that the spacecraft is in a circular orbit. However, the problem statement does not explicitly state that the orbit is circular, so we cannot make that assumption. Instead, we can use the more general equation for orbital motion:

v^2=GM(2/r-1/a)

where v is the orbital velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, r is the radius of the spacecraft's orbit, and a is the semi-major axis of the orbit.

Secondly, the wavelength change of the radio signal is due to the Doppler effect, which is caused by the relative motion between the spacecraft and the observer (in this case, you). This means that the velocity you have calculated (36 km/s) is the relative velocity between the spacecraft and you, not the orbital velocity of the spacecraft. In order to find the orbital velocity, we need to use the equation for the Doppler effect:

\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \frac{v}{c}

where \Delta \lambda is the change in wavelength, \lambda is the original wavelength, v is the relative velocity, and c is the speed of light.

Now, we can use these equations to solve for the mass of the planet. First, we need to convert the given radius of the spacecraft's orbit from kilometers to meters:

r = 128,000 km = 128,000,000 m

Next, we can plug the given values into the equations for orbital motion and the Doppler effect:

v^2 = (6.67 \times 10^{-11} m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}) (M) (2/128,000,000 m - 1/a)

\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda} = \frac{v}{c}

We can rearrange the first equation to solve for the mass of the planet:

M = \frac{v^2 (128,000,000 m - a)}{2 (6.67 \times 10^{-11} m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2})}

Then, we can substitute the value for v from the second equation:

Related to Mass of Planet Using Radius and Doppler Effect

1. How is the mass of a planet determined using its radius and the Doppler effect?

The mass of a planet can be determined by measuring its radius and analyzing the Doppler effect of its orbit. The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave, in this case light, as it moves towards or away from an observer. By studying the shift in the wavelengths of light emitted by a planet as it orbits its star, scientists can calculate the planet's velocity and use it to determine its mass.

2. What tools are used to measure the Doppler effect of a planet's orbit?

Scientists use high-resolution spectrographs to measure the Doppler effect of a planet's orbit. These instruments can detect small changes in the wavelengths of light emitted by a planet, allowing for precise measurements of its velocity. Additionally, telescopes equipped with adaptive optics can provide clear and accurate images of a planet's orbit, aiding in the measurement of the Doppler effect.

3. Can the mass of a planet be accurately calculated using only its radius and the Doppler effect?

While the radius and Doppler effect are important factors in determining a planet's mass, they are not the only factors. Other factors such as the planet's density and composition also play a role in its mass. Therefore, while the mass can be estimated using radius and Doppler effect, it may not be completely accurate.

4. How does the distance between a planet and its star affect the measurement of its mass using the Doppler effect?

The distance between a planet and its star can affect the measurement of its mass using the Doppler effect. The farther a planet is from its star, the longer its orbital period and the smaller the Doppler effect will be. This can make it more difficult to accurately measure the planet's velocity and therefore its mass.

5. Can the Doppler effect be used to measure the mass of all planets?

No, the Doppler effect can only be used to measure the mass of planets that orbit around a star. It cannot be used to measure the mass of planets that are not in orbit, such as rogue planets. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may vary depending on the properties of the planet and its orbit.