Mass-energy conservation in nuclear reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conservation of mass-energy, where the total mass of the products is greater than the total mass of the reactants. The person is trying to find the correct answer using the formula E=mc^2 and converting from Joules to eV, but their answer is incorrect. They are advised to show their work and consider the energy of the alpha-particle given in the question.
voreryar
Homework Statement
If the energy of the incident alpha-particle is 7.68 MeV, calculate the kinetic energy of the proton assuming it gets 17/18 of the available kinetic energy
Relevant Equations
E = mc^2
viber_image_2023-05-29_16-46-06-465.jpg

I found the total mass of the reactants and the products, found the change in mass, used E=mc^2 and changed my answer from Joules to eV, but my answer is wrong. I'm guessing I have to do something with the energy of the alpha-particle given in the question

The answer is supposed to be: 6.58 MeV

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that the total mass of the products is greater than the total mass of the reactants? How do you account for this?

Can you show your work?

voreryar said:
I found the total mass of the reactants and the products, found the change in mass, used E=mc^2 and changed my answer from Joules to eV, but my answer is wrong.
Hi @voreryar. Welcome to PF.

You need to show your working so we can spot any mistakes you have made. But it sounds like you haven’t applied conservation of mass-energy correctly.

voreryar said:
I'm guessing I have to do something with the energy of the alpha-particle given in the question
Good guess!
Initial total rest mass ##=m_i##.
Final total rest mass ##= m_f##.
Initial total kinetic energy of all particles ##= K_i##.
Final total kinetic energy of all particles ##= K_f##.

What is the relationship between ##m_i, m_f, K_i## and ##K_f## in this problem?