Marx Generator Circuit Properties?

In summary: The recommended value of resistors in a Marx generator circuit must balance between effectively blocking current during discharge and allowing for fast charging. There is no specific "rule of thumb" for optimum resistance, but it should be chosen based on charging RC time constant and power losses. It is possible to substitute spark gaps with N.O. relays for more control over discharge timing, but the relays must be able to withstand high voltage and current pulses.
wil3
Hello. I have several theoretical questions about Marx generator circuit operation. Note that I am in no way attempting to build one of these, as I would surely never compromise the integrity of this board by intending to build such a risky device.

I am curious about the recommended value of the resistors in the circuit. I understand that these resistors must have a high enough value so that they effectively block current during the discharge cycle, but simultaneously they must have low enough values that the capacitors can charge relatively quickly. Is there a "rule of thumb" for the optimum resistance given a certain capacitor value? I would like to minimize resistance so as to abet faster charging, but I am unsure of how low I can go without interfering with the discharge process.

Also, I am wondering whether the spark gaps may be substituted with N.O. relays in order to provide more control over the discharge timing. Would this setup save energy, or is it unrealistic because of the damage the discharge would do to the relay leads?

Thank you very much for any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
wil3 said:
Hello. I have several theoretical questions about Marx generator circuit operation. Note that I am in no way attempting to build one of these, as I would surely never compromise the integrity of this board by intending to build such a risky device.

I am curious about the recommended value of the resistors in the circuit. I understand that these resistors must have a high enough value so that they effectively block current during the discharge cycle, but simultaneously they must have low enough values that the capacitors can charge relatively quickly. Is there a "rule of thumb" for the optimum resistance given a certain capacitor value? I would like to minimize resistance so as to abet faster charging, but I am unsure of how low I can go without interfering with the discharge process.

Also, I am wondering whether the spark gaps may be substituted with N.O. relays in order to provide more control over the discharge timing. Would this setup save energy, or is it unrealistic because of the damage the discharge would do to the relay leads?

Thank you very much for any input.
The resistors must be chosen based on charging RC time constant, and power (I-squared R) losses during rapid charging. If you can find NO relays that close in 100's of nanoseconds, and can hold off 1000's of volts and carry pulsed currents of 1000's of amps, use them.
Bob S

Hello! These are great questions about the properties of a Marx generator circuit. I am happy to provide some insights based on my knowledge and experience with such circuits.

Firstly, the recommended value of resistors in the circuit depends on the specific design and purpose of the Marx generator. Generally, the resistors should have a value high enough to limit the current during the charging phase, but low enough to allow for a fast charging time. This balance is important to ensure efficient operation of the circuit. The exact resistance value will vary depending on the capacitor and voltage ratings, as well as the desired output voltage of the generator. A good rule of thumb is to select resistors with a value that is at least 10 times higher than the output voltage of the generator.

Regarding your question about using N.O. relays instead of spark gaps, it is possible to use relays for control over the discharge timing. However, it may not necessarily save energy as the relay leads may still experience damage from the high voltage discharge. Additionally, the switching speed of the relays may not be fast enough to effectively control the discharge timing. It is important to carefully consider the design and components used in a Marx generator circuit to ensure safe and efficient operation.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Related to Marx Generator Circuit Properties?

1. What is a Marx Generator Circuit?

A Marx Generator Circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a series of capacitors and spark gaps, used to generate high voltages. It was invented by Erwin Otto Marx in 1924 and is commonly used in high-voltage and pulsed power applications.

2. How does a Marx Generator Circuit work?

A Marx Generator Circuit works by charging a series of capacitors in parallel and then discharging them in series through spark gaps. This results in a cascading effect, where each capacitor adds to the total voltage output, creating a high-voltage pulse.

3. What are the properties of a Marx Generator Circuit?

The properties of a Marx Generator Circuit include high voltage output, fast rise time, and high repetition rate. It also has low energy efficiency and can produce both positive and negative high-voltage pulses.

4. What are the applications of a Marx Generator Circuit?

Marx Generator Circuits are commonly used in high-energy physics experiments, as well as in industrial and scientific applications that require high-voltage pulses. They are also used in medical devices such as X-ray machines and laser systems.

5. What are the safety precautions for working with a Marx Generator Circuit?

Due to the high-voltage output of a Marx Generator Circuit, proper safety precautions must be taken when working with it. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring that the circuit is properly grounded. It is also important to discharge the capacitors before handling any components and to follow all safety guidelines and protocols.