Making or getting a rotating stand with strong control over rpm

In summary, for your project, you require a rotating stand with precise speed control down to the second. While off-the-shelf options may not meet your requirements, there are programmable motor controllers and stepper motors that can be controlled through software to achieve the desired level of accuracy. Additionally, custom motorized stands may also be an option. It is recommended to do further research and consult with an engineer or expert in this field for the best solution.
flybynight420
I require for a project a rotating stand, much like these... http://www.cokerexpo.co.uk/rotating-display-stand.htm ... Which are used in shops

However as you can see they have some preset rotation speeds which have nothing like the accuracy that I will require. I need to control the speed of rotation down to the second e.g. 9 rotations in one minute.

If there is something off the shelf that I can get that would be perfect. I don't know if there is something that could link to computer software.

I am way out of my depth on this stuff - I am a musician and not an engineer, but am willing to put some work into this to get it to work. I can program quite well, so if there are programs that can control hardware that is an option.

Many thanks for any help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out to us for assistance with your project. I understand the importance of precision and accuracy in research and experimentation.

In regards to your rotating stand, there are a few options that may meet your requirements. One option is to use a programmable motor controller, which can be connected to a computer and controlled through software. This would allow you to set the speed of rotation down to the second, as well as other parameters such as direction and duration of rotation.

Another option is to use a stepper motor, which can also be controlled through software. Stepper motors allow for precise control of rotation and can be programmed to rotate at specific speeds and intervals.

Additionally, there are companies that specialize in custom motorized stands and may be able to design and build a rotating stand that meets your exact specifications.

I would recommend doing some research and reaching out to companies that offer these types of products to find the best solution for your project. I would also suggest consulting with an engineer or expert in this field to ensure that the chosen solution is suitable for your specific needs.

I hope this information helps and wish you the best of luck with your project. Please feel free to reach out to us again if you have any further questions or need additional assistance.
| Scientist at [Your Institution]

Related to Making or getting a rotating stand with strong control over rpm

1. What is a rotating stand with strong control over rpm used for?

A rotating stand with strong control over rpm is commonly used in scientific experiments and industrial processes where precise and consistent rotation speed is necessary for accurate results. It can also be used in testing and calibrating instruments that measure rotational speed.

2. How does a rotating stand with strong control over rpm work?

This type of rotating stand typically consists of a motor, a speed controller, and a platform or attachment for holding and rotating the object. The speed controller adjusts the speed of the motor, which in turn rotates the platform or attachment at a specific rpm.

3. What are the benefits of using a rotating stand with strong control over rpm?

The main benefit is the ability to precisely control the rotational speed, which is crucial in many scientific experiments and industrial processes. It also allows for consistent and repeatable results, making it a valuable tool for research and development.

4. Can a rotating stand with strong control over rpm be used for different types of objects?

Yes, rotating stands with strong control over rpm can be used for a variety of objects, as long as the weight and size of the object are within the capacity of the stand. Some stands also have adjustable attachments or platforms to accommodate different shapes and sizes of objects.

5. Are there safety precautions to consider when using a rotating stand with strong control over rpm?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when using any type of rotating equipment. This may include wearing protective gear, keeping long hair and loose clothing away from the rotating parts, and ensuring the object is securely attached to the platform to prevent accidents or injuries.