Magnetic Force with Parallel currents

In summary, the magnetic force between two parallel currents is directly proportional to the product of the two currents and the distance between them, and inversely proportional to the distance squared. Parallel currents create magnetic fields that are parallel to each other and induce attractive or repulsive forces depending on the direction of the currents. Coulomb's Law cannot be used to calculate the magnetic force between parallel currents as it only applies to electrostatic forces. The direction of the magnetic field created by a current is always perpendicular to the direction of the current, according to the right-hand rule. Increasing the distance between two parallel currents results in a weaker magnetic force between them, as the magnetic field strength decreases with distance.
Ignitia

Homework Statement

A circuit with current I has two long parallel wire sections that carry current in opposite directions. Find magneticfieldatapointPnearthesewiresthatisadistance a from one wire and b from the other wire as shown in the figure.
Rfq8TXpsSAspAbOVLmbWEmTJjR6Ch4mY58sLIzdEgq27Vi71B5IowR~2HwbeoM_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ5Y6AV4GI7A555NA.jpg

Homework Equations

B=μo*I / 2πR

The Attempt at a Solution

Field for I1:
B1 = μo*I / 2πb
Field for I1:
B2 = μo*I / 2πa

First have to calculate the x and y components:

Bnetx = B2 [ - sin(θ)] + B1 [cos(0)] = B2 [ - sin(θ)] + B1
Bnety = B2 [cos(θ)] + B1 [sin(0)] = B2 [cos(θ)]

cos(θ) = sqrt(a2 - b2) / a
sin(θ) = b/a

And find the total net value, Bnet = sqrt( Bnetx2 + Bnety2) so,

Bnet = sqrt( ( (μo*I / 2πa) [ - b/a] + (μo*I / 2πb))2 + (( μo*I / 2πa) [sqrt(a2 - b2) / a])2 )

And I just simplify this whole mess, correct? If it's correct up to here, then my mistake is only in the simplifying, and not the steps leading up to it.

Attachments

• Rfq8TXpsSAspAbOVLmbWEmTJjR6Ch4mY58sLIzdEgq27Vi71B5IowR~2HwbeoM_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ5Y6AV4GI7A555NA.jpg
    Rfq8TXpsSAspAbOVLmbWEmTJjR6Ch4mY58sLIzdEgq27Vi71B5IowR~2HwbeoM_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ5Y6AV4GI7A555NA.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,209
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignitia said:

Homework Statement

A circuit with current I has two long parallel wire sections that carry current in opposite directions. Find magneticfieldatapointPnearthesewiresthatisadistance a from one wire and b from the other wire as shown in the figure.
View attachment 222953

Homework Equations

B=μo*I / 2πR

The Attempt at a Solution

Field for I1:
B1 = μo*I / 2πb
Field for I1:
B2 = μo*I / 2πa

First have to calculate the x and y components:

Bnetx = B2 [ - sin(θ)] + B1 [cos(0)] = B2 [ - sin(θ)] + B1
Bnety = B2 [cos(θ)] + B1 [sin(0)] = B2 [cos(θ)]

cos(θ) = sqrt(a2 - b2) / a
sin(θ) = b/a

And find the total net value, Bnet = sqrt( Bnetx2 + Bnety2) so,
Correct up to here, didn't check the last line. Actually your answer is Bnetx and Bnety since B is a vector with x and y components. Your way calculates the magnitude of the net B field but actually that was not explicitly asked for.Bnet = sqrt( ( (μo*I / 2πa) [ - b/a] + (μo*I / 2πb))2 + (( μo*I / 2πa) [sqrt(a2 - b2) / a])2 )

And I just simplify this whole mess, correct? If it's correct up to here, then my mistake is only in the simplifying, and not the steps leading up to it.[/QUOTE]

Likes Ignitia, Charles Link and harambe
Your steps are correct

Likes Ignitia, Hydrous Caperilla and Charles Link
It looks correct to me. What answer did they give?

Likes Ignitia and harambe
Charles Link said:
It looks correct to me. What answer did they give?

The answer was

B = μo*I*a/2πb2

I got it down to

B = μo*I/2π * sqrt(a2-3b2)/ab

So if everyone says what I posted is correct, then the logic is fine and I just have to find the mistake leading up to the answer.

Likes Charles Link
Ignitia said:
The answer was

B = μo*I*a/2πb2

I got it down to

B = μo*I/2π * sqrt(a2-3b2)/ab

So if everyone says what I posted is correct, then the logic is fine and I just have to find the mistake leading up to the answer.
Edit: I get ## B=(\frac{\mu_oI }{2 \pi})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-b^2}}{ ab}) ##. Unless we all made the same mistake, I think the book just might have an incorrect answer. ## \\ ## Also the book's answer makes no sense. When ## a ## is large, their answer becomes large. ## \\ ## For large ## a ##, you get ## B=\frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi \, b } ## , just as you should. (The ## 3b^2 ## doesn't work for ## a \approx b ##. I originally had the same answer too, until I double-checked the last step).

Last edited:
Likes Ignitia and harambe
Charles Link said:
Edit: I get ## B=(\frac{\mu_oI }{2 \pi})(\frac{\sqrt{a^2-b^2}}{ ab}) ##. Unless we all made the same mistake, I think the book just might have an incorrect answer. ## \\ ## Also the book's answer makes no sense. When ## a ## is large, their answer becomes large. ## \\ ## For large ## a ##, you get ## B=\frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi \, b } ## , just as you should. (The ## 3b^2 ## doesn't work for ## a \approx b ##. I originally had the same answer too, until I double-checked the last step).

The book could be wrong - it's happened before. Thanks for checking.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Magnetic Force with Parallel currents

1. What is the magnetic force between two parallel currents?

The magnetic force between two parallel currents is directly proportional to the product of the two currents and the distance between them, and inversely proportional to the distance squared.

2. How do parallel currents affect each other's magnetic fields?

Parallel currents create magnetic fields that are parallel to each other and induce attractive or repulsive forces depending on the direction of the currents.

3. Can the magnetic force between parallel currents be calculated using Coulomb's Law?

No, Coulomb's Law only applies to electrostatic forces between stationary charges. The magnetic force between parallel currents requires a different formula that takes into account the direction of the currents.

4. What is the relationship between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field it creates?

The direction of the magnetic field created by a current is perpendicular to the direction of the current. This is known as the right-hand rule.

5. How does increasing the distance between two parallel currents affect the magnetic force between them?

As the distance between the currents increases, the magnetic force between them decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force.