Magnetic fields from 3 current carrying wires

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the locations of zero magnetic field in three infinitely long, equally spaced wires carrying current in the same direction. The magnetic field is zero near the wires on the sides, and the distance from the wires to these points is equal to (1-(sqrt(3)/3) d. The conversation also touches on the subsequent motion of the middle wire when it is displaced a small distance upward while the other two wires are held fixed. The Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law are the relevant equations for solving this problem.
vagabond260

Homework Statement

Consider three straight infinitely long (parallel to each other), equally spaced
wires (with distance d), each carrying a current I in the same direction.
(a) Calculate the locations where magnetic field is zero.
(b) Sketch the magnetic field line pattern.
(c) If the middle wire is rigidly displaced a very small distance x (x << d) upward while
the other two wires are held fixed, describe qualitatively the subsequent motion of the middle
wire.

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law and Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the magnetic fields are zero near the wires on the sides but how exactly do i calculate that in terms of "d"?

For part (c) I was thinking since the middle wire will be pulled on both sides (to the points where the magnetic fields are zero) with equal forces it should remain stationary. But then it's not lying on the same plane as the other two wires, so does that mean it will be pulled down to the same plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vagabond! welcome to PF!

what do you mean by 'I know the magnetic fields are zero near the wires on the sides'?

supratim1 said:
Hi vagabond! welcome to PF!

what do you mean by 'I know the magnetic fields are zero near the wires on the sides'?

I mean that the magnetic field from the wire at one end has to cancel the magnetic fields of the other two wires (and as the magnetic field strength falls off as 1/distance from wire) this distance has to be close to the wire on the sides.

suppose i have the following:

A
B

the current is going from left to right; then the places of zero magnetic field have to be in regions A and B - near wire 3 and wire 1; but how exactly do i measure that distance

I'm trying to get a fraction of "d" but i get a value in terms of "pi" which doesn't make sense :S

Ok, I get a value of about (1-(sqrt(3)/3) d from the wires on the both sides where the magnetic field is zero - does that seem reasonable to anyone?

Last edited:
First assume the three wires are coplanar. That being the case the two points must lie in the same plane. The distance from the point to the middle wire is simply x, and the distance from the point to the other two wires are d+x and d-x. Once you apply Ampere's law the solution will pop out algebraically.

Related to Magnetic fields from 3 current carrying wires

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of electricity through a wire.

2. How are magnetic fields from current carrying wires related?

When current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. When multiple wires with currents in the same direction are placed next to each other, their magnetic fields combine to create a larger magnetic field.

3. How do the magnetic fields from current carrying wires affect each other?

The magnetic fields from current carrying wires can either attract or repel each other, depending on the direction of the current in each wire. If the currents are in the same direction, they will attract each other, and if they are in opposite directions, they will repel each other.

4. How can the strength of the magnetic field from a current carrying wire be calculated?

The strength of the magnetic field from a current carrying wire can be calculated using the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields from current carrying wires?

Magnetic fields from current carrying wires are used in a variety of applications, including electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in MRI machines for medical imaging and in particle accelerators for scientific research.