Magnetic field created by a wire acts on the wire itself?

CD (76.8 ##\mu##T).In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total magnetic field on BA and the inclusion of the magnetic field generated by the wire itself. It is concluded that the exercise does not take these "internal" forces into account and therefore, the result provided may be incorrect.
physics user1
So here is the problem, it asks me to find the total magnetic field on BA, i made a vectorial sum with the magnetic field generated by i1 and by i2 and i got the right result, but why not adding also the magnetic field generated by the wire itself? I mean generated by CD why isn't that correct? There is current i glowing in CD too, so it generates a magnetic field, why doesn't this add too? Basically I am asking: does a wire carriyng current generate a magnetic field that can imteract with that wire?
Please help me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161220-164259.png
    Screenshot_20161220-164259.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The exercise doesn't take these 'internal' forces into account because they don't influence the net force on the complete loop ABCD.

Likes physics user1
BvU said:
You are correct. The exercise doesn't take these 'internal' forces into account because they don't influence the net force on the complete loop ABCD.
So... if it asks me the total magnetic field on BA and doesn't take under account the field generated by CD the book gave me a wrong result? Thanks

I agree. It asks for the total magnetic force on AB and for the total force on CD. The 75.6 ##\mu##T in the answer for AB ignores the field produced by BC (88.4 ##\mu##T)

Likes physics user1

Related to Magnetic field created by a wire acts on the wire itself?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or a moving electric charge where magnetic forces can be detected.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a wire?

A magnetic field is created by electric current flowing through a wire. The current creates a circular magnetic field around the wire, with the direction of the field determined by the direction of the current.

3. How does the magnetic field created by a wire act on the wire itself?

The magnetic field created by a wire will exert a force on the wire itself, causing it to move in a direction perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the force exerted by the magnetic field on the wire?

The direction of the force exerted by the magnetic field on the wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the direction of your thumb, then the direction of the magnetic field is in the direction of your fingers. The force will act in a direction perpendicular to both of these directions.

5. How can the strength of the magnetic field created by a wire be increased?

The strength of the magnetic field created by a wire can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the wire or by coiling the wire to create multiple loops. The strength of the magnetic field also depends on the distance from the wire, with the field being stronger closer to the wire.