Magnetic field affecting an alpha and a beta particle.

In summary, an alpha-particle and a beta-particle with the same speed enter a region of uniform magnetic field with a square shape and the field being normal to their path. The ratio of their path radii can be calculated using the equation r=mv/BQ, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, B is the magnetic field, and Q is the charge. In this case, the mass of the alpha particle is 1840 times greater than the beta particle, while the charges are +4e and -e respectively. This results in a greater radius for the alpha particle's path compared to the beta particle's path.
gabloammar

Homework Statement

An [itex]\alpha[/itex]-particle and a β-particle are both traveling along the same path at a speed of 1.5x106 ms-1.

They then enter a region of uniform magnetic field. The field is a square with sides of 1 cm.

The magnetic field is normal to the path of the particles and is into the plane of the paper.

Calculate the ratio 'radius of the path of the alpha particle/radius of the path of the beta particle.'

2. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know how to start thinking about this question. I mean I know that the radius of the alpha particle will be greater than that of the beta particle because of their differences in mass and charge but how do you do go about that in fractions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What are the relevant equations and how would they differ for α/β particles?

r = mv/BQ? no?

For an α-particle, m would be (1840x4) times greater than for a β-particle [because it's a helium nucleus and a β-particle is an electron]. v is the same for both particles. B is also the same. Q, the charge, on the other hand, will be positive and negative for alpha and beta respectively, with values [if they're needed in the first place] of +4e and -e for alpha and beta respectively. I hope I'm right with all that data.

Here's what's bothering me. What do I do with this to answer the question? I mean how do I use it?

Related to Magnetic field affecting an alpha and a beta particle.

1. How does a magnetic field affect an alpha and a beta particle?

When a charged particle, such as an alpha or beta particle, moves through a magnetic field, it will experience a force perpendicular to both its direction of motion and the magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and will cause the particle to deflect from its original path.

2. Can a magnetic field change the direction of an alpha or a beta particle?

Yes, a magnetic field can change the direction of an alpha or a beta particle. The strength and orientation of the magnetic field, as well as the particle's velocity, will determine the extent of the deflection.

3. How does the mass of an alpha and a beta particle affect their deflection in a magnetic field?

The mass of a particle does not affect its deflection in a magnetic field. The only factors that determine the deflection are the particle's charge, velocity, and the strength and orientation of the magnetic field.

4. Why do alpha and beta particles have a different deflection in a magnetic field?

Alpha and beta particles have different masses and charges, which results in different deflections in a magnetic field. Alpha particles have a larger mass and a positive charge, while beta particles have a smaller mass and a negative charge, causing them to deflect in opposite directions in a magnetic field.

5. Can a magnetic field affect the energy of an alpha or a beta particle?

Yes, a magnetic field can affect the energy of an alpha or a beta particle. As the particle moves through the magnetic field, it may gain or lose kinetic energy due to the work done by the magnetic force. This change in energy can be calculated using the Lorentz force equation.