Magnet with Non Magnetic Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of stitching or joining magnets with non-magnetic materials. It is mentioned that magnets are commonly sewn into clothing and bandages for magnet therapy, but it is unclear if this is effective. The conversation then shifts to the ability to create multilayer systems using magnetic and non-magnetic metals, which was the basis for the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physics for giant magnetoresistance.
JANA91
Dear Friends

Could anyone tell me whether we can stich (or) Join Magnets with Non Magnetic Materials? Is there any Possibilities?

Thanks for Your Replies in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JANA91. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Small magnets are sewn into clothing and bandages for magnet therapy (healing), and also sewn into bed underlays. I don't know whether such therapy is effective, though.

If that doesn't answer what you have in mind, please explain further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mr. Homework Helper

I am asking about metallic Parts like Copper, Aluminium, etc. If you find relative answer, please let me knowThanks

I can confirm that it is not possible to physically stitch or join magnets with non-magnetic materials. This is because magnets have a unique property called magnetism, which is the force that attracts or repels other magnets and magnetic materials. Non-magnetic materials do not possess this property, so they cannot be joined or attached to magnets in the same way that magnetic materials can. However, there are ways to temporarily attach non-magnetic materials to magnets, such as using adhesives or using magnetic shielding materials. Ultimately, it is important to understand the properties of different materials and how they interact with each other to determine the best way to join or attach them.

Related to Magnet with Non Magnetic Materials

1. What is a magnet?

A magnet is an object that produces a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel other objects made of certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

2. Can magnets attract non-magnetic materials?

No, magnets can only attract materials that contain ferromagnetic elements, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. Non-magnetic materials, such as wood and plastic, are not affected by magnetic fields.

3. How does a magnet interact with non-magnetic materials?

A magnet will not stick to or attract non-magnetic materials, but it can still have an effect on them. When a magnet is brought near a non-magnetic material, the material will become slightly magnetized and may experience a weak attractive or repulsive force.

4. Why do non-magnetic materials not stick to magnets?

Non-magnetic materials do not stick to magnets because their atoms do not have aligned magnetic fields. In contrast, ferromagnetic materials have atoms with aligned magnetic fields, allowing them to be attracted to magnets.

5. Can non-magnetic materials block a magnet's magnetic field?

Yes, some non-magnetic materials, such as copper and aluminum, are able to block or shield a magnet's magnetic field. This is because these materials have a high electrical conductivity, which creates an opposing magnetic field that cancels out the magnet's field.