LR circuit, energy dissipated?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the energy dissipated through resistors in a circuit after a switch is released. The correct approach involves using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and solving a first order differential equation. The final answer is 36 J.
breez
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1787/lccircuitrk6.th.gif

The switch S is closed for a long time and then released again. How much energy is dissipated through the resistors after the switch is released?

It should be (LI^2)/2 shouldn't it? Where I is the current right before the switch is released. I even integrated the R(i(t))^2 where i(t) is the current decay function of time for an RC circuit. The answer I got was 81 J but apparently the answer is 36 J? I'm deeply confused. Can someone show me how to correctly solve this if my approach is wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find the current through the 6 ohm resistor in series with the inductor. Then when the switch is open, you can disregard the left hand side of the picture. The potential across the inductor is [tex]L\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex]. Use that along with the value of the resistors 6 and 12 ohms to construct an equation with KVL for the case when the switch is open.

Then solve that first order DE by separation of variables. Plug in the value of [tex]I_{0}[/tex] which is the initial current through the 6 ohm resistor in series with the inductor when the switch is just opened. You'll now have a decaying exponential function of t. That is the current through the circuit for t>0, assuming the switch is open at t=0. You can find the energy dissipated in the circuit by [tex]P = \frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] where P is power dissipated, E is energy dissipated. Using the expression for energy dissipated in the resistors, perform an integration from t=0 to t->infinity.

You'll get 36 J.

Oh I see, I got 36 J. You can skip the integration using equivalent resistance to find the current in the middle branch, then do U = LI^2/2. This gives 36 J. Since the final current is 0, the energy must all be dissipated.

Last edited:

Related to LR circuit, energy dissipated?

1. What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. It is used to control the flow of current in an electrical circuit.

2. What is energy dissipation in an LR circuit?

Energy dissipation in an LR circuit refers to the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy due to the presence of resistance in the circuit. This heat energy is dissipated through the resistor and is proportional to the square of the current flowing through the circuit.

3. How is energy dissipated in an LR circuit calculated?

The energy dissipated in an LR circuit can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the energy dissipated in joules, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current in amperes.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated in an LR circuit?

The amount of energy dissipated in an LR circuit is affected by the inductance of the inductor, the resistance of the resistor, and the current flowing through the circuit. A higher inductance or resistance will result in a higher amount of energy dissipated.

5. How can energy dissipation be reduced in an LR circuit?

Energy dissipation in an LR circuit can be reduced by using components with lower resistance or inductance, using a lower current, or by using a heat sink to dissipate the heat more efficiently. Additionally, using a capacitor in parallel with the inductor can help reduce the amount of energy dissipated in the circuit.