Lorentz invariant lagrangian density

In summary, the conversation is about finding a derivation of the Lorentz-invariant Lagrangian density. The lagrangian is often assumed or obtained from experiment, but there may be a simpler derivation. One approach is to combine relativity and quantum mechanics to obtain an equation of motion that is Lorentz invariant, and then find a lagrangian that gives this equation. Another approach is to build a lagrangian using fields that are already Lorentz scalars or vectors. The conversation also mentions the concept of renormalization and recommends a book on classical and quantum field theory for further study.
naos
Hi,

Would someone know where I can find a derivation of the lorentz-invariant lagrangian density?
This lagrangian often pops-up in books and papers and they take it for granted, but I was actually wondering if there's a "simple" derivation somewhere... Or does it take a whole theory and tens of pages to get there?

As a reminder, it can be found on slide 5 of this paper:
http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~dermisek/QFT_08/qft-I-2-1p.pdf

Sorry for this question, I'm pretty new in Lagrangian and field theory (come from maths)...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not so much derived as it is assumed or obtained from experiment, but here is one simple route.

In relativity we want a dispersion relation like [tex] E^2 = p^2 + m^2 [/tex] with energy E and momentum p. Combining this with quantum mechanics we replace [tex] E \rightarrow i \partial_t [/tex] and [tex] p \rightarrow -i \partial_x [/tex] and demand our fields satisfy an equation of motion like [tex] (-\partial_t^2 + \partial_x^2 - m^2 ) \phi = 0[/tex]. This equation is Lorentz invariant provided [tex] \phi [/tex] is a scalar. Now just look for a Lagrangian that gives this equation of motion and then you have what you were looking for. There are plenty of more sophisticated points of view, but I think this one is nice and direct.

Hope this helps.

Maybe take this approach- we want to build a lagrangian that is a Lorentz scalar. Now, the lagrangian we build depends on the fields we are working with. The slide you posted has a scalar field [tex]\phi[/tex], since this is already a lorentz scalar, any function [tex]f\left(\phi\right)[/tex] is also lorentz invariant.

The other object we have to work with is [tex]\partial_\mu \phi[/tex], that transforms as a vector. We can build an invariant object out of two of them. [tex]\partial_\mu \phi \partial^\mu \phi [/tex]. So our lagrangian could be [tex]\mathcal{L} = f'\left(\partial_\mu \phi \partial^\mu \phi, \phi\right)[/tex]. Now, we can write an infinite number of terms in the theory, but when you learn about renormalization you'll discover that at long wavelengths, we only have to consider the lowest order terms.

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}\partial^\mu \phi \partial_\mu \phi - \frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{1}{4!}\phi^4 [/tex]

Think of m and lambda as constants to be decided by experiment.

Thank you for your answers!

Renormalization is a bit far from now, but I have a feeling that'll be an elegant approach. Thank for that. I definitely like the simple approach you're having, Physics Monkey, although it looks like a baking recipe ;)

In addition to those proofs, would you know if there's one which goes from a study of the lorentz group, then look for all Lagrangians which are invariant under any transformation belonging to that group? For instance, it could be an analysis of a particular and simpler case, leading to the correct form, then using physics' arguments for a generalization.

Also, I'm currently reading the book of W. N. Cottingham on Standard Model (ISBN 0521852498) and I think I'm going to need another book on classical and quantum field theory. Which one would you recommend me? Apparently, the one from Tai Kai Ng (Introduction to classical and quantum field theory) seems to be good and cover what my needs (basics field theory and their quantization). What do you think?

Thanks

Related to Lorentz invariant lagrangian density

What is a Lorentz invariant lagrangian density?

A Lorentz invariant lagrangian density is a mathematical expression used in theoretical physics to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of its physical properties. It is invariant under Lorentz transformations, meaning it remains unchanged regardless of the frame of reference used to observe the system.

Why is Lorentz invariance important in a lagrangian density?

Lorentz invariance is important because it ensures that the physical laws described by the lagrangian density are consistent across different frames of reference, which is a fundamental principle in relativity. Without Lorentz invariance, the equations of motion derived from the lagrangian density would not accurately describe the behavior of physical systems.

What is the relationship between Lorentz invariance and special relativity?

Lorentz invariance is a key principle in special relativity, which is the theory that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged regardless of the frame of reference used to observe them, and this is reflected in the Lorentz invariance of the lagrangian density.

How is a Lorentz invariant lagrangian density used in practical applications?

Lorentz invariant lagrangian densities are used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in particle physics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. They are used to describe the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their properties and interactions.

What are some examples of Lorentz invariant lagrangian densities?

Some examples of Lorentz invariant lagrangian densities include the Klein-Gordon equation, which describes the behavior of scalar particles, and the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions. Other examples include the Yang-Mills theory, which describes the behavior of gauge bosons, and the Einstein-Hilbert action, which describes the dynamics of spacetime in general relativity.