Looking for tighter bound on symmetric PSD matrices products

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining an upper bound for a given equation involving symmetric PSD matrices K and L of size N*N with entries in the range of [0,1]. The matrices K' and L' are introduced as new symmetric PSD matrices with only row i and column i different from K and L. The attempt at a solution involves using triangular inequality and bounding the three square brackets, but it is noted that the constant coefficient may be much lower than the initial bound. Suggestions for using linear algebra properties to obtain a tighter bound are requested. Further clarification is provided regarding the elements and positions of K', L', and the range of their entries.
Yossi

Homework Statement

Let K and L be symmetric PSD matrices of size N*N, with all entries in [0,1]. Let i be any number in 1...N and K’, L’ be two new symmetric PSD matrices, each with only row i and column i different from K and L. I would like to obtain an upper bound of the equation below: where .∗ is an element-wise multiply.

Homework Equations

|[sum(K' .∗ L') − sum(K .∗ L)] − (2/N)*[sum(K'L'') − sum(KL)] + (1/N*N)*[sum(K')sum(L') − sum(K)sum(L)]|

See attached for equation in LaTex/PDF.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using simple triangular inequality and bounding the three square brackets respectively,
I can bound the above with 12N − 13.
However, this is extremely loose.
Empirical experiments show that the constant coefficient should be much lower, probably closer to 1N.

Can you suggest any linear algebra properties connecting the equation's parts - which may help me get a tighter bound?

Attachments

• Sym_PSD_matrices.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 259
Yossi said:

Homework Statement

Let K and L be symmetric PSD matrices of size N*N, with all entries in [0,1]. Let i be any number in 1...N and K’, L’ be two new symmetric PSD matrices, each with only row i and column i different from K and L. I would like to obtain an upper bound of the equation below: where .∗ is an element-wise multiply.

Homework Equations

|[sum(K' .∗ L') − sum(K .∗ L)] − (2/N)*[sum(K'L'') − sum(KL)] + (1/N*N)*[sum(K')sum(L') − sum(K)sum(L)]|

See attached for equation in LaTex/PDF.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using simple triangular inequality and bounding the three square brackets respectively,
I can bound the above with 12N − 13.
However, this is extremely loose.
Empirical experiments show that the constant coefficient should be much lower, probably closer to 1N.

Can you suggest any linear algebra properties connecting the equation's parts - which may help me get a tighter bound?

Does ##\sum(A)## mean ##\sum_i \sum_j a_{ij}## for matrix ##A = (a_{ij})##? When you say that each of ##K', L'##have only row ##i## and column ##i## different from ##K,L##, do you mean that ##K'## has both its row and column ##i## different from ##K## and that ##L'## has both its row and its column ##i## different from ##L##? I think that is what you mean, but it is worth checking. Are all the elements of ##K', L'## also in ##[0,1]##?

Related to Looking for tighter bound on symmetric PSD matrices products

1. What are symmetric PSD matrices?

Symmetric PSD matrices are square matrices that are symmetric (i.e. equal to their transpose) and have non-negative eigenvalues. These matrices are commonly used in optimization and machine learning algorithms.

2. Why is it important to find tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products?

Tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products allow for more accurate and efficient calculations in various applications. It can also help in improving the performance of algorithms that rely on these calculations.

3. How are tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products calculated?

There are various methods for calculating tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products. One common approach is to use convex optimization techniques to find the tightest bound that can be expressed as a linear combination of the input matrices.

4. Can tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products be applied to non-square matrices?

No, tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products can only be applied to square matrices. However, there are extensions of these bounds for non-square matrices, such as the Schur product theorem for positive definite matrices.

5. How can tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products be used in real-world applications?

Tighter bounds on symmetric PSD matrices products have various applications in fields such as machine learning, signal processing, and optimization. They can be used to improve the performance and accuracy of algorithms, as well as in solving problems that involve positive definite matrices.