Looking for the right physics book

In summary, the speaker is looking for a book on physics that discusses modern ideas in a genuine and accessible manner, without being too technical or oversimplified. They have read Richard Feynman and are looking for something more in-depth. The other person recommends "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "Modern Physics" by Richard Feynman as potential options.
ParagonOrder
Hi everyone, this question may be asked alot, but I haven't been satisfied yet.. I am actually a biology student, but I know that physics is the fundamental science, and i want to have a picture of the universe. I want to give an example of what I am looking for: In Biology Ernst Mayr is was a very prominant figure, a giant, he wrote a book called "This is Biology" (very good book). Its scope spanned the whole of the field, ecology, evolution, molecular biology etc... And it discusses unanswered questions in biology, the philosophy of biology, even the philosophy of science. Without being too technical and going into too much depth, but also not being too dumbed down, this is a scientist discussing with other scientists and lay people alike. in a genuine matter, what he thinks about the science and what it has to say in its entirety. It discusses new ideas in a reasonable matter without high flying jargon, and how they may be approached. I would love it if there were an equivalent type book in physics by a distinguished physicist. I am not looking for "A Brief History of Time", or "The Elegant Universe" and those type of dumbed down, high flying popular science books you don't end up learning much from. I want some honest and genuine discussions of truth. But I am not a physics major, so I don't know if I am going to read textbooks you know? I have a few lying around anyway that may help if I need them, but id rather just a nice book. I have read Richard Feynman, he is spectacular, but maybe something more in depth than QED and the Character of Physical Law, touching on more modern ideas? I would appreciate it very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm glad you're looking for an in-depth book on physics, and I would recommend "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford. This book is written for a general audience, but goes into detail about quantum mechanics and its implications. It covers many of the modern ideas in physics, such as the nature of space and time, the uncertainty principle, and the wave-particle duality. It also discusses the philosophical implications of these ideas, and provides a comprehensive overview of the current understanding of quantum mechanics. Another great book on physics is "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. This book is a bit more advanced than "The Quantum World", but still accessible to a general audience. It covers topics such as cosmology, the nature of space and time, and the current understanding of fundamental particles and forces. The book also discusses the philosophical implications of these ideas, and provides an overview of the current understanding of the universe. Finally, if you're looking for a more technical book on physics, I would recommend "Modern Physics" by Richard Feynman. This book is a classic text on the subject, and it covers topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics. It is a bit more technical than the other books mentioned, but it is still accessible to a general audience. I hope this helps!

Related to Looking for the right physics book

1. What is the best physics book for beginners?

The best physics book for beginners depends on individual learning styles and goals. Some popular options include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any physics books specifically for non-scientists?

Yes, there are physics books written specifically for non-scientists. Some examples include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

3. Are there any physics books with practical applications?

Yes, there are many physics books with practical applications. Some examples include "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

4. What is the difference between a textbook and a popular science book in physics?

A textbook is typically used for academic study and contains in-depth explanations, equations, and exercises. Popular science books, on the other hand, are written for a general audience and focus on making complex concepts more accessible and engaging.

5. Can I learn physics from just one book?

It is possible to learn the basics of physics from one book, but it is recommended to consult multiple sources to gain a well-rounded understanding of the subject. Additionally, the study of physics is an ongoing process and requires continuous learning and practice.