Looking for great sequential logic text

• Engineering
  • Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic Text
In summary, the speaker is looking for a comprehensive text on Sequential Logic at the undergraduate level, as they have never formally studied this topic before. They are seeking recommendations for a good book and their goals involve learning techniques at the logic gate level for simple embedded systems and getting into CPLA hardware programming. They mention wanting to address a weakness with sequential logic before jumping into VHDL. They suggest trying Floyd 10th edition digital fundamentals.
mishima
Hi, I have been through Alan Clements' Principles of Computer Hardware along with some online texts. I would like to purchase a comprehensive text on Sequential Logic at the undergraduate level. Having never studied this topic formally at university, I'm not sure how to discriminate between a good and bad book. Any recommendations?

My goals mostly involve simple embedded systems, such as robotic sensors and computer/sensor interfaces. I would like to learn techniques at the logic gate level for these purposes and get into CPLA hardware programming (like the Xilinx Cool-runner II). I know sequential logic and VHDL/Verilog are different things, but I feel like I have a weakness with sequential logic I need to address through rigorous study (before I jump into VHDL).

Try Floyd 10th edition digital fundamentals

Related to Looking for great sequential logic text

What is sequential logic?

Sequential logic is a type of logic circuit that uses memory elements, such as flip-flops, to store and process information in a sequential manner. It is commonly used in digital electronics to design and implement sequential circuits, such as counters, shift registers, and memory units.

What makes a sequential logic text great?

A great sequential logic text should provide a thorough explanation of the fundamental concepts and principles of sequential logic, accompanied by clear and concise examples. It should also cover a wide range of topics, from basic logic gates to advanced sequential circuit design techniques. Additionally, a great text should have engaging and interactive exercises to help readers apply their knowledge.

Are there any recommended textbooks for learning about sequential logic?

Yes, there are many textbooks available for learning about sequential logic. Some popular choices include "Digital Design and Computer Architecture" by David Harris and Sarah Harris, "Digital Systems Design" by Frank Vahid and Tony Givargis, and "Fundamentals of Logic Design" by Charles H. Roth Jr. and Larry L. Kinney.

Does a background in computer science or engineering necessary to understand sequential logic?

While having a background in computer science or engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand sequential logic. A good sequential logic text should provide a clear and accessible explanation of the subject matter, making it accessible to readers with various backgrounds and levels of experience.

What are some practical applications of sequential logic?

Sequential logic is used in a variety of electronic devices and systems, including computers, smartphones, digital clocks, traffic lights, and many more. It is also commonly used in industrial automation, robotics, and communication systems. Additionally, sequential logic is essential in the design of control systems for various applications, such as automotive and aerospace industries.