Looking for further personal study of Mathematics

In summary, a student from the UK is looking for study materials and advice on how to improve their mathematics skills. They did not study Further Mathematics at A-level and are interested in developing their pure mathematics skills. The recommended fields for them are Analysis and Linear Algebra, with the book "A First Course in Real Analysis" by Protter and Morrey as a good starting point. Additionally, there are many other good books available for linear algebra.
-Daniel-
I'm a student from the UK who has just finished my A-levels. I am looking for further study materials/advice on how to get into more mathematics. I did not study Further Mathematics at A-level, I only completed a single Mathematics A-level. I am interesting in developing my pure mathematics skills for the future and would appreciate any guidance on texts/materials that would enable me to self-teach to a higher level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Daniel, a great decision! The two fields I would recommend to anyone, on which most of advanced mathematics (and also physics) is based, allows you to develop problem solving skills and conceptual understanding are Analysis and Linear Algebra. For analysis, try "A First Course in Real Analysis" by Protter and Morrey. It is not door-stopper size, but covers a lot of material. The book is very self-contained, the explanations are very good and the exercises useful. Other, thicker books exist, too, which may be very good (e.g. Introduction to Calculus and Analysis by John and Courant), but a book that is too thick may get difficult working through at some point, and for someone starting out in the subject a slightly shorter book may be better (not spending 200 pages on every chapter). For linear algebra, I really don't know, but there are a lot of good books out there.

Related to Looking for further personal study of Mathematics

1. What are the benefits of studying mathematics?

Studying mathematics can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning. It can also lead to job opportunities in various fields such as science, technology, finance, and engineering.

2. What are the different branches of mathematics?

The main branches of mathematics are algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. Other important branches include number theory, topology, and differential equations.

3. How can I improve my mathematical skills?

Regular practice and active engagement with the material are key to improving mathematical skills. It is also helpful to seek help from a tutor or join study groups to gain a deeper understanding of concepts.

4. What are the best resources for further personal study of mathematics?

There are many resources available for personal study of mathematics, such as textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is also beneficial to practice with challenging problems and seek feedback from peers or instructors.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to pursue further personal study?

While a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts is helpful, it is not necessary to have a perfect understanding of all math topics to pursue further personal study. It is important to be motivated and have a willingness to learn and improve.