Looking for equation/proof of b field in a solenoid

In summary, the magnetic field inside a solenoid can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability constant, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid. This equation can be derived from Ampere's law and the magnetic field in a solenoid varies with distance, being strongest at the center and weaker towards the ends. The magnetic field can also be turned off by turning off the current flowing through the solenoid.
LiftHeavy13
Hi guys, I'm looking for an equation and/or proof of the magnetic field produced inside a solenoid with a finite length (hence, it shouldn't just be "muNOT n I." For some reason I can't find a simple proof anywhere. I have no idea where to start. ampere's law obviously doesn't work, and that other law didn't seem of much use...

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want it only on the axis (fairly simple) or anywhere inside the solenoid (very messy)?

Related to Looking for equation/proof of b field in a solenoid

1. What is the equation for the magnetic field in a solenoid?

The equation for the magnetic field in a solenoid is B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability constant, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

2. How do you calculate the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

To calculate the magnetic field inside a solenoid, you can use the equation B = μ₀nI. You will need to know the values of the permeability constant, the number of turns per unit length, and the current flowing through the solenoid.

3. What is the proof of the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The proof of the magnetic field inside a solenoid can be derived from Ampere's law, which states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability times the current passing through the loop. By applying this law to the magnetic field inside a solenoid, we can arrive at the equation B = μ₀nI.

4. How does the magnetic field in a solenoid vary with distance?

The magnetic field in a solenoid is not constant, but rather varies with distance from the center of the solenoid. At the center, the magnetic field is strongest and becomes weaker as you move towards the ends of the solenoid. This is due to the fact that the magnetic field lines are more concentrated in the center and spread out as you move away from it.

5. Can the magnetic field in a solenoid be turned off?

Yes, the magnetic field in a solenoid can be turned off by turning off the current flowing through the solenoid. This is because the magnetic field is created by the flow of electric current through the wire, so when the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears.