Looking for ball bearing assembly with easy disassembly

In summary: What do you mean by a "stand-alone assembly"?I was hoping for something slightly more elegant if you will.
OutWest
Hi folks! I am looking for a ball bearing assembly that can be easily taken apart and re-assembled. I'm trying to test some ball bearings (the balls themselves) so its advantageous to have a housing that I can easily take apart and reload with a different type of ball without damaging anything. The best option I've come across so far is a cup/cone adjustable bicycle hub. Does anyone know of something similar to that, but as a stand-alone assembly? I've searched around google a bit but have come up empty.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A bicycle hub was the first thing I thought of. What's wrong with it? What do you mean by a "stand-alone assembly"?

phyzguy said:
What do you mean by a "stand-alone assembly"?
Perhaps like a self centering inner and outer race, I remember seeing races with half-round cut-outs where you can remove or insert one ball at a time but I think they always had wave shaped rings to keep the balls at regular intervals and prevent them from exiting the races under load. I believe I saw that type in longitudinal standard transmission input and output shaft main bearing assemblies.

I couldn't find a picture with the "cut-outs" I was referring to but this type of bearing?

Attachments

• image_32.png
    image_32.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
phyzguy said:
A bicycle hub
The only type I have ever seen is 2 outer races on each side of the axle tube, and 2 inner races threaded on the axle shaft with locking nuts.

Another part of the bicycle would be better for testing. If I was working on a test rig I would use the bottom bracket. If you are not a bike mechanic this is the large tube wher the petal shaft rotates.
Shop used or cheap bikes. Look for one with removable crank arms or enlist a bike shop for possibly a wreck. Pull the crank arms off and you have a double bearing race with an easily adaptable pulley shaft. And the entire thing is pre welded into arms that would be easy to mount in almost anything.

phyzguy said:
What's wrong with it? What do you mean by a "stand-alone assembly"?
Not sure if anything is necessarily wrong, I was just hoping to find something slightly more elegant if you will.
Regarding stand alone, I just want a bearing, I'd prefer if it wasn't integrated into a bicycle hub.

jerromyjon said:
I remember seeing races with half-round cut-outs where you can remove or insert one ball at a time but I think they always had wave shaped rings to keep the balls at regular intervals and prevent them from exiting the races under load.
I did some more searching and came across "Slot filled bearings" that seem to be what you're describing, is this it:
http://www.skf.com/group/products/b...ndex.html?designation=305-ZNR&unit=metricUnit

Anyone else have experience with slot fill bearings?

Angular contact bearing or Magneto bearing .

You could also use a thrust ball bearing . These come apart particularly easily .

Last edited:
What is purpose of your proposed tests ?

There is extensive technical data regarding theory and practical application of rolling contact bearings available .

An improvised test is unlikely to add anything to the knowledge base .

If you require bearing data for some specific purpose it can probably be found using a simple search .

OutWest said:
is this it:
Yes those are what I remember replacing the balls in. but the cage wasn't readily removable, that part would have to be redesigned for interchangeability.

Related to Looking for ball bearing assembly with easy disassembly

1. How do I know if a ball bearing assembly is easy to disassemble?

The easiest way to determine if a ball bearing assembly is easy to disassemble is to look for designs that have fewer parts and simpler mechanisms. Additionally, reading reviews or asking for recommendations from fellow scientists or engineers can also provide valuable insights.

2. Are there any specific brands or manufacturers that offer ball bearing assemblies with easy disassembly?

Yes, there are several brands and manufacturers that are known for producing ball bearing assemblies with easy disassembly features. Some popular options include SKF, Timken, and NTN. It is always recommended to do thorough research and read customer reviews before making a purchase.

3. What are the benefits of using a ball bearing assembly with easy disassembly?

The primary benefit of using a ball bearing assembly with easy disassembly is the convenience it provides during maintenance or repairs. This can save time and effort, as well as reduce the risk of damage to the assembly. It also allows for quicker and easier replacement of faulty parts.

4. Can a ball bearing assembly with easy disassembly be used for heavy-duty applications?

Yes, there are ball bearing assemblies with easy disassembly features that are specifically designed for heavy-duty applications. These assemblies are built with durable materials and robust mechanisms to withstand high loads and extreme conditions. It is important to choose a suitable assembly for the specific application.

5. Is it possible to convert an existing ball bearing assembly to have easy disassembly?

In some cases, it may be possible to modify an existing ball bearing assembly to have easy disassembly features. However, this would require a thorough understanding of the assembly's design and may not be feasible for all types of assemblies. It is best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer for guidance on modifying an existing assembly.