Log Help: Determine Expression Equal to log x

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a math question that involves finding an expression for log x. They discuss different approaches and properties of logarithms, but ultimately the expert reminds the student to post their questions in the appropriate section and to review the properties of logarithms before attempting the question.
Pepsi
I've been looking through my textbook for a question even remotly similar and no luck, if you could get me started witht this question I'd love to do it and then I'll write what I got and write it here.

If y=x^2(a+z) determine an expression equal to log x. (Hint: you will need to take the log both sides at some point)

Physics news on Phys.org
Would this property help you?

[tex]\log a^b = b\log a[/tex]

uhh not really, you could elaborate on that idea though?

Would it be like...

logx = xlog

then xlog^2(a+z)

Sorry I'm really confused/

If you take the log of both sides, you end up with:

[tex] \log y = \log x^2^(^a^+^z^)[/tex]

See the similarity between the b in my earlier equation and 2(a+z)? >_>

okay... I kind of get it...

I did this...

log(y/x) = 2a + 2z

so that's logx = (2(a+z))/y

I'm still stuck

The question asks, determine an expression for log x? I'm confused about what you are trying to accomplish. Following from:

[tex] \log y = \log x^2^(^a^+^z^)[/tex]
[tex] \log x = \frac{\log y}{2(a+z)}[/tex]

Pepsi, please post all coursework related questions in the Homework Help section.

Also, you need to relearn the properties of logarithms first. Please go over this chapter in your text again. For instance, log(y)/log(x) is not the same as log(y/x).

Last edited:

Related to Log Help: Determine Expression Equal to log x

What is a log function?

A log function is a mathematical function used to determine the power or exponent to which a base number must be raised in order to obtain a given value.

What is the base of a log function?

The base of a log function is the number that is being raised to a certain power. For example, in log base 2, the base is 2.

How do I determine the expression equal to log x?

The expression equal to log x can be determined by taking the logarithm of the base of the log function and setting it equal to x. For example, if the base is 2, the expression would be log2x.

What is the relationship between log functions and exponential functions?

Log functions and exponential functions are inverse operations of each other. This means that if a value is raised to a certain power using an exponential function, the logarithm of the base will give the original value.

How can log functions be used in real-life applications?

Log functions can be used in a variety of real-life applications, such as measuring earthquake magnitude, calculating pH levels, and determining sound intensity levels. They are also commonly used in finance and economics to calculate compound interest and inflation rates.