Log expansion for infinite solenoid

In summary, an approximation for the log function has been found where Λ approaches infinity. The approximation is given by -log(ρ/ρ0) + log(2Λ/ρ0) and can be derived by expanding the square root term and simplifying. The constant ρ0 appears in the second expression but not the first and its significance is unknown.
Shinobii
Hello, I found an approximation for this log function:

[tex] log \Bigg(\frac{\Lambda}{\rho} + \sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} \Bigg), [/tex]

where [itex] \Lambda \rightarrow \infty [/itex]. The above is approximated to the following,

[tex] -log \bigg(\frac{\rho}{\rho_o} \bigg) + log \bigg(\frac{2 \Lambda}{\rho_o} \bigg). [/tex]

How is this done? I tried expanding the [itex] \sqrt{1 + x^2} [/itex] term, but I still don't get how they arrive to the above approximation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

I have no idea why this was sent to linear algebra section . . . And I do not know how to move it to classical physics. . .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\rho_0##? It appears in the second expression but not the first.

Last edited:
Wow, never mind. Clearly I am being silly here, for [itex] \Lambda \rightarrow \infty [/itex].

[tex] log\bigg( \frac{\Lambda}{\rho} + \sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} \bigg) \rightarrow log \bigg( \frac{ 2 \Lambda}{\rho} \bigg) \rightarrow log(2 \Lambda) - log(\rho). [/tex]

As for the [itex] \rho_o [/itex] I have no idea why that enters the equation.

Hello, thank you for sharing your findings. It seems that you have stumbled upon a simplified approximation for the logarithmic expansion of an infinite solenoid. This type of expansion is often used in physics to simplify complex equations and make calculations easier.

To understand how this approximation is derived, we need to look at the properties of logarithms and the behavior of the function in question. First, let's recall that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of its factors. This means that we can rewrite the original log function as:

log \Bigg(\frac{\Lambda}{\rho}\Bigg) + log \Bigg(\sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} \Bigg)

Next, let's focus on the second term. We can use the binomial theorem to expand the square root:

\sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} = 1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{2\rho^2} + O\Bigg(\frac{1}{\rho^4}\Bigg)

Since we are interested in the case where \Lambda \rightarrow \infty, we can ignore the higher order terms and simplify the expression to:

\sqrt{1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^2}} \approx 1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{2\rho^2}

Substituting this back into our original equation, we get:

log \Bigg(\frac{\Lambda}{\rho}\Bigg) + log \Bigg(1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{2\rho^2} \Bigg)

Now, we can use another property of logarithms, which states that the logarithm of a sum is equal to the logarithm of the individual terms multiplied together. This gives us:

log \Bigg(\frac{\Lambda}{\rho}\Bigg) + log \Bigg(1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{2\rho^2} \Bigg) = log \Bigg(\frac{\Lambda}{\rho} \cdot \bigg(1 + \frac{\Lambda^2}{2\rho^2} \bigg) \Bigg)

Finally, we can simplify this expression by using the fact that \Lambda \rightarrow \infty. This means that \frac{\Lambda^2}{\rho^

Related to Log expansion for infinite solenoid

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is typically used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

2. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current is passed through the wire of a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field then interacts with other magnetic fields, creating a force that can move objects or produce mechanical motion.

3. What is an infinite solenoid?

An infinite solenoid is a theoretical concept in which the length of the solenoid is infinitely long. This means that the magnetic field produced by the solenoid is uniform and does not decrease with distance.

4. What is a log expansion for an infinite solenoid?

A log expansion for an infinite solenoid is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field produced by an infinite solenoid. It involves using logarithmic functions to describe the relationship between the distance from the solenoid and the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Why is the log expansion important for understanding infinite solenoids?

The log expansion is important because it allows us to mathematically describe the behavior of an infinite solenoid, which is a key concept in electromagnetism. It also helps us understand the relationship between distance and magnetic field strength, which is crucial in many practical applications involving solenoids.